Menu
bmc99
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Terrible speed at peak times

Okay i know i am in a overutilization area that has been explained to me why i get such poor speeds during the evenings under 2mbs on a 50mbs deal.Would upgrading my Broadband be worth it or would i be wasting my cash doing so.What speeds should i expect for 100mbs or 200mbs  while having these speed reductions in place.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Terrible speed at peak times

Don't waste your money.

If you can only achieve 2Mbps at best during the evening now you will only ever get 2Mbps even if you were on 100, 200 or even 300Mbps tiers.

Keep your 50Mbps and, if not already receiving it, request your loss of service credit.... £7.50 per month minimum. PLUS.... if you upgrade it will be a contract change and you will forfeit any right to the free speed boost (superfibre70) should Virgin/Liberty Global EVER fix the over utilisation issues!!!

I assume you already have your fault reference number which is needed to claim the loss of service credit.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018

All Replies
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't waste your money.

If you can only achieve 2Mbps at best during the evening now you will only ever get 2Mbps even if you were on 100, 200 or even 300Mbps tiers.

Keep your 50Mbps and, if not already receiving it, request your loss of service credit.... £7.50 per month minimum. PLUS.... if you upgrade it will be a contract change and you will forfeit any right to the free speed boost (superfibre70) should Virgin/Liberty Global EVER fix the over utilisation issues!!!

I assume you already have your fault reference number which is needed to claim the loss of service credit.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
bmc99
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thought so looks like  i am stuck then. Just did another speed test and it 0.6 mbs. and Yes i am getting £7 credit i have been waiting 6 months for it to be fixed its really pissing me off.I might go to another provider post office one is free for the first 12 months even though its only 17mbs it would be a vast improvement on what i am getting now.

0 Kudos
Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mate, "Speed, we like it fast" - More correctly, you'll get better speeds on ADSL/carrier pigeon than you will with VM. Honestly, the issue of utilisatisation is a cover all description of we are selling you a service we can't provide. But don't worry it'll be fixed "soon". I wouldn't mind it if VM provided training instead and let me fix the problem myself. Secondly, the amount of staff which provide "support" to the connections to be fixed "soon" could be reallocated to engineers so we wouldn't have these issues in the first place. The business model is completely flawed and based around false promises of high speeds.

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
0 Kudos
bmc99
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have given up with virgin media and gone to BT.After 3 weeks with bt i have not had a single problem with them.With constant speed of 50mbps and uploads of 9mbps, also today just got a £150 cash card from bt to  spend in the shops or ale house,well it is christmas.I don't know why i stuck it out so long with VM,I can watch 4k movies and tv shows now.So if anyone reads this and you have crap speed do what i did and get out.