Menu
m86r
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Terrible speed and no internet every hour

Hi,

I'm paying for 100 Mbps but I'm not receiving anywhere near that. I've just restarted all equipment and it's working what I consider quite well - download speeds of 15.5 Mbps and upload of 6.3 (ping 13ms) according to Speedtest.net. Nowhere near what I'm paying for but this is now considered good.

However, speeds will continuously drop, and eventually we will end up with no internet. The Wi-Fi connection is fine (I'm using a third party router now as I thought the Superhub's poor signal was to blame) but there's an effective download speed of 0 after a while.

This happens every hour or so - sometimes it's for 2 minutes, sometimes longer, sometimes until I restart the equipment. It's worse in the evening but does occur throughout the day.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here? I work from home a lot, and having intermittent internet is really starting to cause issues.

I rang previously and was told there are 'upgrade' works in my area, but it's been like this for 8 months (time of install) and there's nothing to suggest an error in the Service Checker.

If anyone from Virgin Media, or a helpful forumite could give some advice I'd really appreciate it.

In the time it had taken to write this message the speed has dropped to 8.96.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Jim10
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Terrible speed and no internet every hour

Hi

This is down to over utilisation. They overload their network with too many users. The evening is the peak time, hense why your speeds drop. With my Vivad100 i'm lucky if i get 8Mbps during peak times, usually more like 0.5Mbps.

Please don't believe the updating your area nonsense, they tell everyone the same lie. I have been going through this for 2 years and i'm finally out of contract. I have cancelled this week and moved onto to SKY. They don't have lightning fast speeds but at least they're consistent. Their services are provided by BT who won't allow over utilisation.

i promise you, VM will do nothing about it. Get out while you can

All Replies
Jim10
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

This is down to over utilisation. They overload their network with too many users. The evening is the peak time, hense why your speeds drop. With my Vivad100 i'm lucky if i get 8Mbps during peak times, usually more like 0.5Mbps.

Please don't believe the updating your area nonsense, they tell everyone the same lie. I have been going through this for 2 years and i'm finally out of contract. I have cancelled this week and moved onto to SKY. They don't have lightning fast speeds but at least they're consistent. Their services are provided by BT who won't allow over utilisation.

i promise you, VM will do nothing about it. Get out while you can
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi m86r, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your issues with slow speeds and drops in connection, I offer my apologies for any inconvenience.

I have tested your connection from here and I can see that there's 2 issues affecting your connection, the first one will require an engineer to attend and resolve this for you. Your downstream power levels are too high and will need to be adjusted by the engineer.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

The second issue affecting your connection is that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak hours. The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak times, the reference number for this is F004824105 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the middle of March.

Thanks for your patience regarding this matter, I will need to pass this onto another team who will be in touch with some more information for you. Before I do that I will need to clear some security questions with you as part of our process for doing so.

I will send you a seperate PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos