Menu
WildmanUK80
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Terrible peak speeds since upgrade

Hi,

I have been having the same problem for a while after several calls I was given the truth by someone last night.

At my parents house they have had Virgin Broadband for over 10 years since when I used to live there, I had noticed 6 months ago they were paying the same price as they had always paid £40 odd but only getting 50mb as it had not upgraded from years ago. I called them up and they upgraded them to 200mb.

This is where the problem began as soon as they upgraded the speeds became shockingly low, I spent a long time on the phone to the networking team and they concluded it was due to the area having high volume, they said it would be flagged as a problem and updated.

6 Months later and the problem is the same I call them back and this time get told work had started in January to put down more cabling to deal with the traffic, I am told by the 14th Dec this will be finished and the problem will be resolved.

15th December I call back and get told maybe the upgrades might take a while to come into play after they had gone live, and that the huge decrease in speed could not be due to traffic as it would not go down that much. (200mb line they get 10mb on average), they also said to test via a wired connection which I could not at the time and claimed it was likely a wireless issue. All of this was lies.

The same day I called back as I had managed to get a laptop attached via ethernet, this time I get the truth from someone. The upgrade work that was meant to be live 14th Dec has been moved back to next May! Also they tell me the problem is definitely due to the traffic and the current cabling not being able to deal with the load. So the person earlier had lied to me on both fronts, they must have been able to see the problem was the traffic and that the work had not been completed and moved to May.

The bottom line is Virgin Media's network cannot provide the speeds in this area (South Manchester) until the work is completed next May and I will only get very limited speeds until then, I was even told I can cancel at any time even though its not the end of the 12 months as they cannot provide what I am paying for..

They are currently reducing the bill each month until this is fixed but not really good enough, they are reducing a £46 bill by £12.50 each month, but they are only getting 10mb from a 200mb line, they should be paying a 20th of the price if they can only provide 20th of the advertised speed.

I can literally get faster speeds on my mobile phones 3/4g than I can on the broadband in the evening.

It seems to me that Virgin has just taken more and more new customers to get more money knowing the system cannot take the load and now people have suffering for it and having to have a broken service until they upgrade their network.

0 Kudos
WildmanUK80
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible peak speeds since upgrade

I had put this as a reply to someones post then put an edited version as a new post with some more information added but now its been edited by mods and seems to be not attached to the thread I had replied to?

Can I ask what was edited by the moderators on my post?

EDIT seems the mods took my reply to another thread and made a new thread from it, but I have already posted this in my own thread, just in case people think i've posted this twice.

0 Kudos
leeh1986
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Apparently I'm told they've moved my post here, but I can't see it. I'm in area 31 on 200mbit and I get around 1-3mbit from around 4pm to midnight.

They did tell me it was cause of power levels but an engineer came and sorted that and tried to make it go faster but he couldn't, he then told me there was a known issue withthe cabling between Hemel and Luton that could account for some of it but he thought I should still be getting at least 50mbit

until the engineer told me no one at virgin had made any mention of a known issue, so it does seem like they're tying to hide the fact they can't actually provide the speeds they tout for the majority of the day. Hopefully that will be the next offcom ruling that they can't advertise a speed unless they can provide it or close to it for 20 out of 24 hours or something, being able to get 200mbit at 3 in the morning for a few hours is not good enough.

Grats on getting something off your bill, I'm getting no such reduction at the moment.

0 Kudos
WildmanUK80
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what they have done with the post.

I had replied to your post and then it said mods had edited my reply.

When I messaged them they said they had taken my reply and made a new post out of it so more could see even though i'd posted this information on its own and this was just a reply to your post!

It really isn't good that we can only get anywhere close to the speed in the middle of the night.

A speed test at lunch time today and it was still only 25mb off peak!

Seems they are too keen to get new customers with no thought to the effect on the existing ones.

WildmanUK

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi leeh1986,

Really sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced.

I'd like to help you with this but I am unable to locate your account information at present.

I've sent you a private message so that we can have a chat about this.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi WildmanUK80,

I have responded to your separate thread so that we can also discuss the issue concerning your connection.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos