Menu
Benring1
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Terrible internet speed

My internet speed has been terrible for the last week.

Connect to cable or wifi I'm only recieving 0.5 mbs at times when I'm suppose to be receiving 50mbs!

I've been told multiple times there's a problem in the area but nothing seems to be wrong when I check my service.

I'm 03 (Sw19) anyone else experience this problem? Can't even load YouTube at times!
0 Kudos
stucoates
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible internet speed

Same issues here in Essex (06) over the past few days. Dropping to 5Mb/s on a 200Mb/s line. The problem is not local connection speed as tests using speedtest.net to a host inside the VM network gives about 150Mb/s... but when you force it to use a host outside the VM network it takes a nosedive. This points to VM's transit / peering links being either severely overloaded or just broken.... but I suspect overloaded due to the fact speeds do come back up at times.

Here's my monitoring graphs that I keep from a machine on my LAN that monitors the speed (to points beyond VM's network) from a wired connection.

vm-shty.pngvm-shty2.png

0 Kudos
Benring1
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Heard of any news when this will be fixed or is it just going to be a wait and see?

It makes sense because at times during the day the speed it is reasonable (still only 6-10mbs) but as soon as it hits five o clock or over the weekend, it becomes unusable.
0 Kudos
stucoates
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wouldn't hold your breath. I'm jumping to another ISP as this VM line is simply too unreliable to be of any use. Others may be slower but they are stable. I'd much rather have a rock-solid 20Mb/s line than a flaky as hell 200Mb/s that drops at least once a week and barely delivers half of that on good days, and less that 5% at other times.

0 Kudos
gar1380
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I just had the 200mb installed yesterday and found that I was only getting 18mb, after an hour on the phone they have managed to get me 38mb !! wow!!!! whats going on ? now I have to wait until next week for a tech man to come and try and sort it out. not happy

0 Kudos
admtjm
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You just worked out that virgin media sucks my internet speed has been terrible for months longer to be honest,the so called capping or throttling whatever they want to call it.i live in netherton dudley dy2 0lg.ookla speed test my 150 meg connection is running at 14 meg has been doing this for god knows how long but it's a long time on and off.They don't throttle it back when everybody's at work and the speed is not needed, no no they wait till you come home and want to use the internet then they do it.Think its called false advertising offering one thing for one price and getting totally the opposite of what you're paying for.If you can't supply continuous fast internet for what you charge and advertise then you shouldn't do it ripping people off all the time.They will probably ban me for this rant in the forums they did before i'm to honest i guess and they don't like the truth they are selling us a service they cannot maintain all the time,fair usage what a load of crap if it goes fast leave it why does it need throttling if you can't maintain full speed all the time then you shouldn't advertise it as being super fast.It should be super fast sometimes when we can we can't run it fast all the time.rant over up yous virgin media.

Capture.JPG

Benring1
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

At the moment I'm only receiving 1.5mbs. I was never having this problem before and then one day it just started slowing down. I'm so confused and customer support is terrible.

I don't understand how it can be fine for ages and then all these issues. Feels like it will never be solved.

I have an engineer coming next week but I'm not holding my breath. Will probably look into switching providers at this rate!
0 Kudos
PraetorianXX
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm also getting a very slow connection during the evening peak. I'm in Area 03 (CR2 postcode)

My package is VIVID 152 which was giving downloads of over 100Mb/s until about two weeks ago. Now the connection is no higher than about 11Mb/s during peak, often as low as 2 to 3Mb/s. I'm testing this from a PC with wired gigabit ethernet to the SuperHub. Upload speeds don't seem to be affected much, just a slight dip during peak, but downloads are massively affected. Worse for me is if I play an online game that is sensitive to latency - off peak I can get a 30ms ping to EU based servers (Germany or Netherlands for example), but during peak times if the only other person in the house even tries to watch a YouTube video my ping will hit 600ms

I've tried the obvious things - reboot the hub, check the physical connections...

I tried the "Run a test" tool, but just get an "Oops, something is broken" page in response after clicking "Go ahead"

Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos