Menu
Steelchampion
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Terrible Internet for 2-3 Months

Hello,

As the title suggests, our internet has been awful for the last few months. It completely loses connection regularly, the speeds fluctuate heavily and there is noticeable packet loss when playing any online games. When it disconnects it can take anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes to regain connection.

Here is a link to the thinkbroadband ping test: 

389116d1ffe6457dcd5a1eae42bf4e3e

Here are some Speedtest results:

Speedtest Results.png

As you can see, the latency isn't always that bad, however when it wants to play up, it tends to hover around the 300ms mark. 

Some information:

• We have the Superhub 2
  • Restarting the router or my LAN connection does nothing
  • I am wired, but there are 3 other laptops in the house using wireless, and all have the same problems
  • The other 3 laptops only use the internet for Facebook & E-mails and only for a couple of hours per day so they really aren't overloading the network
  • More often than not, my computer is the only one actually on and using the internet
  • We are on the 200mbps package and I have never seen downloads faster than 6Mbps, though it's usually around 2Mbps (when it works) and sometimes around 100Kbps
  • It tends to be better during the day than in the evening, however the downtime of the internet is still prevalent
  • We live in the Epsom & Ewell area

So the main issue is the complete unreliability of the connection, some evenings there is absolutely zero internet, and restarting everything over and over does nothing at all. I would much rather have a 2mbps package which is always on and without packet loss than a connection like this. If there is a problem in the area, then that would reassure me, especially if there is a date at which an engineer is coming to look at something. If, however there is nothing wrong in the area, then we really need a fix or we will have to switch providers which I would really rather avoid if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible Internet for 2-3 Months

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Steelchampion
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply.

downstream.png

Upstream.png

Network Log.png

It hasn't been too bad today thus far with regards to downtime. It's gone down a couple of times in the last few hours but the dreaded evening is yet to come!

0 Kudos
Steelchampion
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So as expected, my internet is completely awful and almost unusable as it is evening time (???) 

Here is a Speedtest result:

The upload speed is almost as much as the download speed...

It seems I cannot play any online games between the hours of around 5pm and 12am and watching a movie is simply painful.

0 Kudos
Steelchampion
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I accidentally left the IP address in the previous image (hence the block), so here it is again with it cut out:

speedtest now.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't get an email telling me the thread had been updated.

The upstream power levels are a bit high.  The maximum recommended is 51dBmv and you have one channel at 51 and one at 51.5 so that could very easily be causing the hub to disconnect.

This will need a technician visit to sort out the power levels. You can call VM and try to book a visit or wait for the VM staff to get to this thread and they can help you book a visit.

There could also be a peak time utilisation issue with your segment of the network, but you need to get those upstream power levels corrected as a first step to see if that helps.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Steelchampion
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that - really helpful. We're away all of next week so I might as well wait to hear from a VM employee on here, and if I don't hear from one by the time we're back then I'll give them a call. I've tried to avoid calling this time round simply because I'm fed up of the usual "restart your gear" routine I usually get. If anyone else who lives in the same area as me (Epsom & Ewell) has the same problems in the evening then please do drop a message as I'd love to know if the speed issue is an area-wide issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steelchampion,

Really sorry for the poor connection you've been experiencing recently.  The lower peak time speeds can be attributed to a capacity issue (fault ref: F003925748). That has a current review date set for 222/03/2017.

However, that fault doesn't explain your disconnections and packet loss. Your Hub's upstream power levels are a little on the high side and I think that arranging for an engineer to visit is the ideal first step. Perhaps he'll also find something else that might be impacting your connection such as a faulty splitter or damaged cable. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and shall book an appointment as soon as I receive your reply Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Gpm1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We are area 22 and I'm lucky if I get between 1-3 mbs after 3pm, meant to be 100mbs.  Virgin say there is a on going fault, surely this can't be the reason every where, and they are talking about march before it's fixed. And the joke is they still want full payment. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gpm1 wrote:

We are area 22 and I'm lucky if I get between 1-3 mbs after 3pm, meant to be 100mbs.  Virgin say there is a on going fault, surely this can't be the reason every where, and they are talking about march before it's fixed. And the joke is they still want full payment. 

@Gpm1 When you were notified by VM did they give you the same fault ref F003925748?  If not then your fault is separate from the one Steelchampion has and you would be better creating your own thread rather than tagging on to the end of this one.

If you have been notified of a peak time utilisation fault then you should be getting a discount for the lack of service.  This is another good reason to create your own thread to get it looked at by the forum team.