Menu
gary-h
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Terrible Area 01 (Wigan) Evening and Weekend Download Speeds

Seeing as we are paying for a 50Mbps I don't consider these consistently poor evening and weekend download speeds of 1.5 - 4.5 Mbps to be acceptable.

I've just ran a speedtest.net test and got a result of 194 ms ping, 1.87 Mbps download and 1.98 Mbps upload. I can provide test history for the past week via PM if helpful.

I assume this is another over-utilisation problem. Can you advise me please if there is already a fault reference and how I would go about requesting a credit for poor service? Also are any dates available for when/if this is likely to be rectified?

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible Area 01 Evening and Weekend Download Speeds

Roughly whereabouts are you in Area 01? (update: I see you've added Wigan to the title now). They've started rolling out network upgrades within the last month, my utilisation fault (in St Helens) has just been fixed after 23 months, and improvements have been noticed in certain parts of Liverpool and Wigan. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your part of the area to be fixed/upgraded.

0 Kudos
gary-h
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

That's good to know. Hopefully someone from Virginmedia can let me know the score for my particular case.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5903513553

0 Kudos
oppster
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Getting pretty much the same, i've been with virgin for a good 7 years in the pem area. Lately i'm getting 1mb download speed randomly!

I'm an online gamer and this is not good when you expect 70mb

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5903737189

If this carries on over the xmas period, i'll be switching straight over to a more reliable isp.

Not happy!!

0 Kudos
Matz-
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Im in the WN3 - Worsley Mesnes,

Just recently realised, After I couldn't access my network externally. Ive been given a new IP, And my speeds seem to have been fixed. On the issue that has plagued me since Jan last year.

Used to get 5-15 on a 100mb, now scoring back over 100.

Unless i'm just getting lucky..

------------------------
Permanent Fault Reference: F003529016
5-10% of Promised Speed
0 Kudos
gary-h
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

An all time low yesterday http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5913082543

Can anyone advise how best to find out if there is an existing over-utilisation fault reference for my area? Do I need to phone them up and argue against their usual "there are no reported faults in your area" BS?

0 Kudos
g182
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible Area 01 (Wigan) Evening and Weekend Download Speeds

0 Kudos
BarryS
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible Area 01 (Wigan) Evening and Weekend Download Speeds

Area 01, Liverpool 9, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5915906784 Beat this!!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

gary-h wrote:

An all time low yesterday http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5913082543

Can anyone advise how best to find out if there is an existing over-utilisation fault reference for my area? Do I need to phone them up and argue against their usual "there are no reported faults in your area" BS?

@gary-h Best option is to wait for the forum team to get to this thread and they can tell you if your segment of the network has an issue and tell you the fault reference for it.  Unfortunately response times are at least a week currently and the Christmas / New Year holidays will exacerbate that.

I'm also in Wigan and I know that there was some work done just before Christmas with regard to slow peak time speeds and I was moved to a different CMTS with lower traffic just last week.  So fingers crossed they are finally sorting things out in Wigan.

FYI The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread or are having a conversation between members then it will bump you to the bottom of their list.

Also the area code is irrelevant as it is just a billing code that is usually assigned based on the cable company that ran your part of the network before it became VM.  In our case 01 is the code for the old Telewest customers and covers a huge area of the north west.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

gary-h
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks for the info Scott

0 Kudos