Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 74 (479 Views)

TW2 - No upload speed and reduced download

I logged an issue with Virgin Tech Support 2 days ago. Our broadband service had suffered an outage to the extent that the download had been reduced to 1.8mb and was unusable. A helpful engineer on the phone initially fixed the issue and after the conversation we had 87mb download back for a 100mb service so OK.

However on putting down the phone running Speedtest I noticed that our upload had been curtailed to 0.02mb. I phoned back Virgin Tech Support and was told in no uncertain terms that upload speed for residential customers was of no concern to Virgin as they primarily look at providing download only. Evidently none of the Virgin staff upload emails with attachments or pictures to social media. 

I pointed out that before the issue we had 6mb upload and whilst the engineer agreed this wasn't right he could only offer to take my mobile number, pass it to engineering and I would be notified by text of any changes. I somewhat feel that no text will come.

Since then our service has been very further variable, the 87mb download has come down to ~34mb and no upload speed continues. This is for a local ping to Brentford. 

Checking the Service Status page there is no mention of any outages for our area short of web mail access which doesn't affect us. When I run a line check it comes back reporting an issue and to wait 10 minutes and then restart the router. This has been done several times now to no avail. I could phone back Tech Support but suspect I'll get the same answer.

Is there anything that can be done to expedite the issue and get a fix or at least confirm whether this is isolated to our household or area? If it is a wider area issue could perhaps the Service Status page be updated so I can follow progress?

It was going all so well for months after the local issues with our digital exchange being over subscribed seemed to have been finally addressed but feel the service is degrading again. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 08.51.37.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 74 (465 Views)

Re: TW2 - No upload speed and reduced download

I'm feeling your pain!

2 days ago I discovered the exact same problem and I live in TW2. So this is very interesting news for both of us!

Upload is as important as anything else. To say it isn't is ridiculous.

Download speed and ping to Brentford are fine (download speed varies wildly at times) but I've had zero to 0.4 upload speed consistently and continually since Monday.

I've somehow managed to get an engineer to visit on Saturday but this sounds like it could be a wider issue for the area - or a very strange coincidence.

I've tried all sorts to figure out myself what the problem may be but I'm now convinced (and thankfully the guy I spoke to originally who booked me an engineer was) that this issue is an external problem.

Is this proof of an area issue or is it coincidence? Virgin people?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 74 (450 Views)

Share my ticket :-) 

Fault No - F005189566
Issue Ticket:- 71198391

I managed to get hold of a Tech. She then confirmed this to be a wider area outage to be fixed by 4pm today. The info "had just come" in and the Status page was going to be updated, wasn't earlier on when I checked, we spoke this morning. 

The Issue ticket will be relevant to my case, the Fault No should be the one logged for the issue to raise a similar ticket against. 

As of posting this message upload is still severely restricted. And download is indeed hit and miss too. 

Benefit of doubt, perhaps wait until 4.30pm and see if services are restored and if not give them a ring. 

Perhaps someone from Virgin will also comment on this thread, I had helpful input here before. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 74 (427 Views)

So having called at around 18.30 it was confirmed that there was/is an issue in TW2 for me also.

I was told that the work had been done at 18.00 but to allow a maximum of 12 hours! for any changes back to normal to be noted.

I can tell you that after 3 hours nothing has changed. Still wildly variable download speeds and zero upload speed.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 74 (417 Views)

Same area same problem.

At first they tried to palm me off with there being two faults in the area, no access to webmail, hardly relevant and I don't use it any way and 'utilisation', fix April 25th. Another non-runner, I've got more than my nominal 100mb download, just zero to 0.03mb upload.

Eventually after getting nowhere a couple of times with a distant call centre in the evening I called during the day and got to speak to someone that wasn't in the middle of a hubbub who listened carefully to what I had to say and agreed it was neither the email issue or utilisation and fixed an engineer appointment for me for Saturday. Then this morning I got a text that my engineer appointment had been cancelled '...because we've found a network problem in your area. We'll confirm once this is resolved.'

Immediately I wanted to make sure this 'network problem' wasn't utilisation, April 25th fix, or the spurious webmail fault so I called. This time again got local support, no it was different and estimated fix time 4 hours. Well I waited till gone 6pm and it still wasn't fixed so I call again. This time the distant call centre. 'i can see there are two issues in your area, webmail and utilisation' grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... and then 'sir we're only concerned with download speeds'... who put that in the script they read from??? Guaranteed to get customers backs up, especially as Virgin Media is not cheap, one pays over the odds for the reliability so one never needs to tangle with the vastly under invested support.

Eventually by being very firm I got my engineer appointment reinstated but now pushed back till next Thursday.

Virgin telephone support is a complete shambles. I came here in desperation and with not much hope, still it's good to see that others in my area have the same fault and I hope there's a fix that allows me to cancel the engineer but id there is'nt I'm going ot have thme come just to acknowledge

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 74 (397 Views)

[ Edited ]

So 12 hours have now passed and the problem remains. Literally no difference to download speeds (wildly varied - although mostly an unrealistic and ridiculously high 163mbps) and still zero upload speed.

Looks like I'll be calling up ... again.

Has anyone had any positive experience from this supposed fix?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 74 (392 Views)

Just got off the phone to day time support. They were as helpful as the system has allowed them to be and I wouldn't have got as far as I did without the fault and ticket number above. Unfortunately they couldn't find any logged reports on the fault being attended to so they couldn't tell me anything more other than it had been reported. They did however log it on my account when no one else has bothered to so that I don't have to start again from the beginning every time I call. There's something seriously structurally wrong with the way they handle faults. There used to be a list of current fault numbers published on the site with descriptions and estimated fix times but they stopped doing that. It was very useful to know that one's fault had been acknowledged and hadn't disappeared down a black hole as this one appears to have.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 74 (378 Views)

Just adding in that the issue still isn't fixed for me either, TW2.

I really have been putting off calling, as i know i'll just end up going round and round with the call centre staff. I tried to tweet to virgin media twice, but the first time they asked me to check a link and didn't provide it. The second time they asked if it was to do with the mail issue, which i said it wasn't, and then they sent me  a link to help with mail issue.... :/

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 74 (373 Views)

Same here - I am located in TW2. I called up on Wednesday and spent over 90 minutes talking to the help desk. Once I persuaded them it wasn't my computers at fault they arranged a service visit for yesterday (thursday). Then at 7.30 in the morning I got a txt saying it had been cancelled because they had found a wider area fault and haven't heard back since..... still no upload. Its been like this since Sunday - starting to become a joke 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 74 (361 Views)

Just got off the phone and have been told that they are aware the issue persists and an engineer will be working on it in the area at 16.00 this afternoon (estimate).

... pigs ... flying ...

0 Kudos