Menu
alexsim2004
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Symptoms of extreme network congestion in CV5

Fault ref. F004162308 has been present in the CV5 area for nearly 2 years now. The symptoms of the network congestion this evening were simply unbearable.

I've attached my DSLReports speed & Bufferbloat test result at 22:00 this evening, note the incredibly high latency figure when the connection was running at less than 7% of the advertised 100Mbps service (this was with a wired Ethernet connection with no other devices using the WAN connection).

The 'review' of the fault is continually pushed back month-after-month as it has done for the past 18 months (going on 2 years), and it has gone on for too long now. I would like a full report of the review that is going to occur on 28/12/2016 and a set timeline for when the fault will be fixed please. Ideally the review would be brought forward to a closer date as the network congestion issues have clearly worsened since then.

Thanks.

DSLReports-25thOct22-00.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Symptoms of extreme network congestion in CV5

Many thanks for your post alexsim2004,

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide any specific dates for resolve. The team are set to review the fault on the date mentioned, which means they are hoping to have carried out the majority of work required by then in order to finally verify the issue as resolved.

I am sincerely sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused you.

I can see that another team are on the case and monitoring this fault in conjunction with your account.

Please let me know if there is anything more that I can do to help.

Take care,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
liamc87
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex

Have you had the same email to say this is now being pushed back to July! Im getting the same symptoms as you, i live on Broookside Ave.

If i was out of contract i would be moving to sky, im wondering if CV5 users would collectively would lodge a complaint to the ombudsman as were getting sub 10% of the advertised rates. To me it looks like traffic shaping, you can see instantaneous drop on my connection from 50mbit instantly down to 4-6mbit between 4-5pm and then through till 12-1am, its not sporadic like you would expect if it was network congestion. I believe because the cab is overloaded they are limiting traffic in anticipation of this to stop it maxing out the cab when everyone comes home and watches Netflix etc.

I signed up in October 2016, and wasnt given any warning of this. The fact that the "review date" has been moved from Feburary to July with no end in sight, is not looking good

Without an engineer actually reviewing anything on the given date, then these review dates are pointless!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi liamc87, 

Thanks for getting back in touch I am sorry to see that you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

Looking at the connection it seems there is a peak in traffic around the time you mentioned which makes sense as that would be the time people start to come home from work and school. The drop in traffic seems to suggest that people on the connection start to go to bed around 23.30 when the traffic in the area starts to drop. 

It is not traffic shaping it is part of the fault and what we are trying to resolve. 

We will keep you updated and let you know as soon as we know more. 

I am sorry that I do not have more news at this time. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
liamc87
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

I dont quite understand the purpose of these review dates , I can see from previous threads that the review dates have been changed on a number of occasions and no reason has been given. 

Have they been cancelled after an investigation has been done and further action needs to be undertaken, as at the minute it feels a review date just seems to be a date for the goal posts to be moved again.

And if over utilization is an issue, why are orders still being accepted to the cabinet. I think its a bit rich for Virgin Media official blog to say that the 10% speed is not fair for consumers

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/blogs/the-asa-should-get-up-to-speed-on-broadband-...

When tonight im getting this speed on a 50mbit connection

2017-03-01 21_16_48-Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

I agree with the blog post, technical issues do happen but to move a fault for a third of a year with no explanation why or an estimated fix on the fault is unacceptable i feel for you guys on support getting the flack on these issues but for us EU's it just feels like more delay tactics.

0 Kudos
CoreyDog
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That review date will just keep going further and further off into the future. High Utilisation in our area for 2 and a half years and that date still keeps moving back.

As you saw above, Virgin are completely unwilling to provide its customers with any information, almost as if they have something to hide.... 🤔.

We had every excuse under the sun, they even had cheek to try and blame local council! Yet I find it strange that BTs High Utilisation resolution takes an average of 14 days.... Virgin are on day 900+ and haven't even started any works yet!
0 Kudos
alexsim2004
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can a Virgin Media CS representative confirm whether Fault Ref F004162308 is now fixed?

I noticed a binary increase in peak time throughput around 13th March, as evidenced by the graph attached. I frequently reach 60-90Mbps during peak times now, so it seems much better than before Smiley Happy

chart_1491052607.png

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello alexsim2004

Thanks for the update and well spotted, we carried out some work exactly when your graph shows it, the congestion on your segment has now greatly reduced and is below our threshold, F004162308 has been closed.

Thank you for your patience throughout.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos