Menu
torchydt
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Supposed 200MB. Only getting 110MB

Hi, message title says it all. I have been 'upgraded' over the years from (I think, memory is dull these days!) 100 to 120, 150 and now 200. Fastest I can ever see from Speedtest is around 110 and regardless of supposed service this is how it's been for ages.

Hub is 2ac, it's set for 200, and I am running it in modem only mode with a wired connection.

I'm in area 14 (Chiswick, London W4). An engineer once told me that the infrastructure in this area was dire (old NTL stuff) and that unless/until that was replaced speeds would never be better. The next engineer told me that was rubbish!

Any views/thoughts from the group gratefully received.

David

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Supposed 200MB. Only getting 110MB

Id be checking NIC and cables.

a consistent speed circa 100Mbps is usually a hardware limitation LAN side. Not saying it is, just positing ideas.

0 Kudos
torchydt
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am pretty sure I'm good there. I am wiring the Virgin cable into a Draytek 2830 router. Ports in and out of that are Gigabit. Then have a LAN cable out of the Draytek into a Gigabit port on an iMac. Cables are all good (ASAIK). I guess the one thing I haven't tried is direct cable from Virgin to computer. I'll give that a go if only to rule it out.

Will report how I get on.

David

0 Kudos
torchydt
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

chutwutt, many thanks for taking the time to reply. But I have to confess. I don't understand at all, as in "not the faintest scooby", what any of it means! Any chance you could have a go at translating for a layperson?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon torchydt,

Thanks for posting on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to learn you are unable to achieve the up to 200 Mbps broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, the downstream power levels are too high at +14 dBmV and for this I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. 

In the meantime, did you manage to try a speed test direct to the Super Hub to see if there is a difference in speeds?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

torchydt wrote:

I am pretty sure I'm good there. I am wiring the Virgin cable into a Draytek 2830 router. Ports in and out of that are Gigabit. Then have a LAN cable out of the Draytek into a Gigabit port on an iMac. Cables are all good (ASAIK). I guess the one thing I haven't tried is direct cable from Virgin to computer. I'll give that a go if only to rule it out.

Will report how I get on.

David

I got told the same on here, it's all hardware. turned out to be a fault between me and the street cabinet, I left without penalty. 

The SH is not getting the right allocation, that's a fault. I learned that after 38 mins on the phone with Tech Support.

0 Kudos