Menu
sys4096
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Superhub dropping connection every 30 minutes area 22

I have vivid 200 service and I run my hub in modem mode, in order to have my own firewall with ipsec vpn tunnels to work, and use wired connections. The speed is fantastic but the modem keeps dropping out every 30 minutes - every time it happens the mode connection indicator light starts to flash green for a couple of minutes before it re-connects. When this starts happening it happens like clockwork every 30 minutes.

Starting on the evening of the 24th of June my superhub would drop the broadband connection, every half an hour. This then cleared up for a few days in the week and came back with a vengeance, on friday (also massive area fault with all TV & Broadband down on Friday afternoon until Saturday). On sunday I call support, they saw the hub go offline whilst I was on the phone to them and they sent an engineer who visited on Thursday. I was hoping to show him the fault in action and it had continue to drop connection every half hour right up until Midnight on Wednesday before he came.

He said my signal was AOK and but mentioned issues with cabinets being replaced in area 22, possible loss of signal at the cabinet rather than at my house, checked connections  outside and also added a 6DB attenuator to the coax feeding the hub,  my upstream strength from 36 to 44 but did not seem convinced this would do the trick.  Everything was OK for day and now the 30 minute disconnects have just started happpening again!

Does anyone have any idea what I can do or report to Virgin to get this fixed? This is so frustrating.

Here you can see all of my dropouts over the last week from the pingplotter i started running on a VM 24/7 (the big red block at the start was the entire virgin area 22 fault last friday from friday afternoon until saturday morning for all services including tv)

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
sys4096
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub dropping connection every 30 minutes area 22

The persistent dropouts have continued, overnight and through this morning. Cutting out in the middle of working on RDP sessions is annoying, but doing any online gaming at the weekends is impossible. Wish I had kept my BT connection TBH, I'd rather 60mbps reliably than 200 with constant interruption of service. 

Is there anyone else in area 22 seeing similar issues? 

Capture.PNG

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi sys4096, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know that your connection is persistently dropping every 30 mins, I can only imagine this must be annoying for you so apologies for any bother.

I've had a look at things from here for you and I can see that there's a lot of T3 time outs inside the Hubs logs, these will explain drops in connection.

I would like to arrange for an engineer to visit and investigate this a little further for you, I'll send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking.Please respond to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
p_crawford
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am in area 10 and also seeing this with a Hub 3.0 box.

Every 30-40 minutes the connection to the outside world drops (e.g. ping of www.google.com) then a short while later ping also drops to the hub (192.168.100.1) and the box appears to reconnect with the light flashing, etc, and eventually after a minute or so the connection is restored.

Was a definite fix ever found for this?

0 Kudos
p_crawford
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to add the modem admin page shows little - no logs, etc, any more Smiley Sad However, the unit itself is not rebooting as uptime is shown as 0 days 21h:0m:42s. Other info on the modem's web page:
Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.88T
0 Kudos
sys4096
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I found my own fix, when the hub does this it will continue to do it repeatedly until you power it off completely (mains). Then for about 2-3 weeks it is rock solid, then the behaviour starts again. I went through the support motion a couple of times - of course they insist you powercycle which cures the problem for a couple of weeks again. I just live with it, as soon as I start to get the dropouts I power cycle and they go away for 2-3 weeks. Saying that, I haven't had it happen for about a month now I think. Of particular interest to me was when it starts to happen the dropouts occur at exact timed intervals every 30 minutes. I ran a sophos utm firewall which was blamed by support call centre, I even switched it to modem mode on their insistence and lived without my fixed VPN to work for a time, just to see and the problem came back - I could always see it was the modem dropping the cable connection but just jumped through their hoops before I found my own 'fix'. As it stands I am happy I don't mind the problem and touch wood it may have gone away now.

Cheers,
Paul
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi p_crawford,

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your Super Hub dropping connection every 30 minutes! I can understand this must be annoying so apologies for any bother.

I have tested the line from here and I noticed that all of your downstream power levels are too low and will require an engineer to attend and investigate this further for you in order to resolve this for you.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Monobody
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

I'm area 21 and I have exact same issue. Connection snap for 1-3 second every minute. Impossible to play online, very annoying.

0 Kudos