Menu
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3 upgrade = BufferBloat

Hi,

I recently upgraded to the "Gamer" offer to have a better upload speed (from 12Mbps to 20Mbps). And it delivers! Thank you VM! Finally some efforts made on the upload side, also, no traffic management which is great.

However, could you please do something for the bufferbloat please?

I have very convincing evidence that the SuperHub3 is introducing a huge bufferbloat on my connection.

I explain: with the old (SuperHub 2) modem, if I was to saturate my upload bandwidth, the modem would drop packets in excess of the available bandwidth very quickly, which is what it should do, my ping remained reasonable.

Now hoverer, my sync speed is 22Mbps and when I saturate my upload bandwidth, the average ping to my internet gateway (on VM's network) goes from 12ms to 140ms !

More evidence that this is bufferbloat by the modem: I use the SuperHub in modem mode and I have a good router behind it, if I limit myself the maximum upload to 21.9Mbps on the router, the upload speed from my computer is virtually unchanged but my average ping to my internet gateway (then one on VMs network) then drops to 15ms.

I would really appreciate if you could publish a firmware upgrade that addresses this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

F.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3 upgrade = BufferBloat

Hi there fguerraz,

Many thanks for this feedback and apologies for the issue experienced.

It appears that your Hub 3.0 is up-to-date firmware-wise. However, having had a look at the equipment levels, there does appear to be an issue present with the power levels, specifically the upstream power.

I'd like to arrange for an engineer to take a look at this.

I've sent you a private message so that we can chat some more.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

As planned an engineer came today to check the power levels and everything was absolutely fine, they reached out to 2nd level support as well to check their other metrics and all appears to be good.

Therefore, I am still convinced that this is a bufferbloat issue on the modem and that has to be fixed on the firmware (I know my firmware is up to date, what I'm saying is that modem firmware is the way to fix this issue).

Regards,

F/

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi fguerraz,

Thank you for updating us about this and thank you also for the feedback provided.

We will certainly ensure to advise when further updates become available.

Take care,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Does that mean that the problem has been reported to the firmware team?

0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

There is a known problem with this where it is processing the network traffic in a software mode and can't keep up. They are supposed to be working on a fix for it. It's a major blunder from the manufacturer and clearly the testing feedback must have been ignored.

You can't offer a gaming option and then have a router which increases latency. It's no wonder they're keeping quiet about it all.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/12/intel-working-fix-virgin-media-superhub-3-router-latenc...

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Mcgaz wrote:

There is a known problem with this where it is processing the network traffic in a software mode and can't keep up. They are supposed to be working on a fix for it. It's a major blunder from the manufacturer and clearly the testing feedback must have been ignored.

You can't offer a gaming option and then have a router which increases latency. It's no wonder they're keeping quiet about it all.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/12/intel-working-fix-virgin-media-superhub-3-router-latenc...

Yep, the chipset is not fit for purpose, and you are expected to like it or like it. The sad thing is, they are still dishing them out like a soup kitchen, they should stop and recall all SH3's and send them back for a refund and try a better alternative.....flippin heck, I almost gave then the solution to a problem, must keep quite.....

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
fguerraz
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I'm fairly confident this is an unrelated problem, the bufferbloat I'm talking about it's very consistent with a 256kiB buffer (always reproducible and  stable in time) and what you're talking about is spikes of losses and jitter if I understand correctly.

0 Kudos
papagray
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I think I am lucky then I pay for 200mbits and when my v2 router played up I expected a new v3 router to be sent out, alas it was the older model, on reflection I am paying top line speed you would think when they replaced the old one as it failed they would do so with the latest not the oldest model anyhow looking to leave soon as there is other companies offering broadband deals only and no line charges!

0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Some of the links in there go into more detail, but it does result in a consistently high ping until the cpu settles/traffic stops.
0 Kudos