Menu
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3.0ac with VIVID 300Mb

Okay, so I logged in to My Account and noticed there was an upgrade pending, I'm already on 212Mbps Downstream /12Mbps Upstream - and that is very stable on 210Mb even in the peak times.

So, I entered my postal code in the box and pressed Go! and got this:

Great news! You can get Virgin Media: We’re number 1 for broadband speed†
VIVID 300

Stating the VIVID 300 requires the SuperHub 3.0ac because the SuperHub 2.0ac does not have enough channels for download or upload speeds.

I confirmed with Virginmedia that the VIVID 300 gives you 300Mb download and a 20Mb upload.

There was nothing on that page about any additional fee's, until I contacted them - then I am told a very different story to a letter I have in front of me which said it was all free. When I spoke to VM about this they completely contradicted everything in the letter.

1. Delivery will cost a one off fee of £9.99 <-- not Free as stated in My Account!
2. VIVID 300 <-- £13.49 extra per month3. None of the above prices include the 5.1% increase from November 2017- which in my case works out at £3.84

Now, the letter I have states no hidden fees or charges! So, why are Virginmedia contradicting what they said over the phone?

The 5.1% increase will affect virtually all Virginmedia customers in November. Just so you know, they are starting to roll out letters this week.

I did not accept their offer! I was wondering who else has been told this about the VIVID 300 Service and SuperHub 3.0ac - I would not be using it in router mode anyway, I have an ASUS router that is far better than all the cable modem/routers from Virgin!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 and VIVID 300Mb (Customers only, Not Businesses)

Looks like you got the A-Team, Echie!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3.0ac with VIVID 300Mb

Are you able to copy/paste verbatim everything from the offer that you've stated above, please?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
spritley
Dialled in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post echelom on this subject as i noticed that Vivid 300 has turned up for my post code aswell.

I sent a couple of private messages for clarification though both messages have been read and ignored without reply so i'm none the wiser.

<headscratch>

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

echelom wrote:

Okay, so I logged in to My Account and noticed there was an upgrade pending, I'm already on 212Mbps Downstream /12Mbps Upstream - and that is very stable on 210Mb even in the peak times.

That message just shows that you had an upgrade at some point in the past. It shows when I log in even though I downgraded to 50Mb.

So, I entered my postal code in the box and pressed Go! and got this:

Great news! You can get Virgin Media: We’re number 1 for broadband speed†
VIVID 300

Sure, I can get 300Mb in my area too when I put in my post code. It's not called Vivid 300 on mine, though I've heard some VM staff refer to it as that, even though technically it's Homeworks+ 300Mb.

Stating the VIVID 300 requires the SuperHub 3.0ac because the SuperHub 2.0ac does not have enough channels for download or upload speeds.

Correct, 300Mb does require the Hub 3 and needs more than 8 downstream channels. It's not called the Superhub 3.0ac though, just Hub 3.

I confirmed with Virginmedia that the VIVID 300 gives you 300Mb download and a 20Mb upload.

Yes, but 300Mb is only available on Homeworks+ at the moment. We'll probably see next month what the new upgrades will be.

There was nothing on that page about any additional fee's, until I contacted them - then I am told a very different story to a letter I have in front of me which said it was all free.

Post a photo of the letter? The fact you had to enter your postcode to see if 300Mb is available probably means they're not offering it to you free.

When I spoke to VM about this they completely contradicted everything in the letter.

1. Delivery will cost a one off fee of £9.99 <-- not Free as stated in My Account!
2. VIVID 300 <-- £13.49 extra per month3. None of the above prices include the 5.1% increase from November 2017- which in my case works out at £3.84

That's the price of homeworks+ 300Mb:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/03/want-300mbps-virgin-media-today-add-home-works-upgrade....

Now, the letter I have states no hidden fees or charges! So, why are Virginmedia contradicting what they said over the phone?

Are they? Post a photo of the letter.. 

The 5.1% increase will affect virtually all Virginmedia customers in November. Just so you know, they are starting to roll out letters this week.

Yeah I heard the price increase letters are being sent out.

virgin-price-rise-nov-2016.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

spritley wrote:

Thanks for your post echelom on this subject as i noticed that Vivid 300 has turned up for my post code aswell.

I sent a couple of private messages for clarification though both messages have been read and ignored without reply so i'm none the wiser.

<headscratch>

The SU's got a response from Huw_B on the subject:

There is no change to the name, whether it be the white box, or the black box, it's still the Hub 3.0

I've done some testing on the Vivid300, this is only available through Homeworks at the moment - I've got no further info on this. 

Cheers. 

Huw

spritley
Dialled in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

spritley wrote:

<headscratch>

The SU's got a response from Huw_B on the subject:

There is no change to the name, whether it be the white box, or the black box, it's still the Hub 3.0

I've done some testing on the Vivid300, this is only available through Homeworks at the moment - I've got no further info on this. 

Cheers. 

Huw

The letter is currently at my mother-in-laws, so I'll have to photocopy it or use OCR just to grab the bulk of the text, because there is a lot of small print. But it states no additional charges. Now, that could refer to just the Hub3, but I was told by VM yesterday that some wireless devices fail on the Hub3, yet he called it the SuperHub 3.0ac - which is the next model up from your current SuperHub 2.0ac.

I have included this screenshot and removed my Address & Postal Code for privacy only.

VIVID 300 on My AccountVIVID 300 on My Account

As you can see it clearly shows the VIVID 300 - However, nothing is actually stated in the text below apart from the VIVID 200, which I am currently on.

I have looked priced @ £13 Homeworks+, but that is more for business use rather than home use. Considering, I am not a business and I already get a discount on F-Secure Security Software already from being with Virginmedia, it seems a bit pointless taking out "Homeworks+" when I do not even need it. The 20Mb upload would definitely be handy, for doing backups to the numerous clouds we use. And my son even said would pay the difference if it was just an additional £13.00 something per month.

I am in to security myself, and have passes in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Linux+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Networking+ and many more in Cyber Security. I also attend CISCO & CISCO TALOS Webinars, so I am always up to date on security.

I do not work from home, but I can get the letter if need be (a little later!) - I wish Virgin used better English in their letters than saying "We want to upgrade your old bit of kit!" - what sort of English is that? Smiley Very Happy Some people could get offended by that wording! lol

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

echelom wrote:

I have included this screenshot and removed my Address & Postal Code for privacy only.

As you can see it clearly shows the VIVID 300 - However, nothing is actually stated in the text below apart from the VIVID 200, which I am currently on.

Yes, I get the same page. It means nothing.

That's the post code checker for new customers! Why would you think that new customer get their broadband for free?!

There's actually a 'more' button that shows you more information on the free quick-start and about Virgin's general speeds.

And right below that it has the prices for the packages and £9.99 activation fee.

What has this got to do with upgrades? Nothing. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

echelom wrote:

The letter is currently at my mother-in-laws, so I'll have to photocopy it or use OCR just to grab the bulk of the text, because there is a lot of small print. But it states no additional charges.
Sure, most of the offers say "no additional charges", apart from the long list of charges below in the small print. That doesn't mean it's free. I think you're reading into the marketing things that it's not saying. That's the point of marketing, to get you to sign up without thinking.
Now, that could refer to just the Hub3, but I was told by VM yesterday that some wireless devices fail on the Hub3, yet he called it the SuperHub 3.0ac - which is the next model up from your current SuperHub 2.0ac.
When have you known a customer advisor to be totally clued up?

Yeah, they want you to call in that's why. Has been like that since Homeworks came out. There was a separate Homeworks+ 300Mb specific page somewhere but can't find it now.

I have looked priced @ £13 Homeworks+, but that is more for business use rather than home use.
It's for residential home use. It's a quasi home/business package. Quite a few non-business people on the forum have it.
Considering, I am not a business and I already get a discount on F-Secure Security Software already from being with Virginmedia, it seems a bit pointless taking out "Homeworks+" when I do not even need it. The 20Mb upload would definitely be handy, for doing backups to the numerous clouds we use. And my son even said would pay the difference if it was just an additional £13.00 something per month.
Yeah lots of useless stuff on Homeworks, but it's the only way currently to get the 300Mb. Btw, the upstream is not traffic managed.
Be careful, first you pay for Homeworks+ and then you pay for 300Mb. A lot of people get caught out on the pricing because it's not a normal Vivid package.

echelom
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

echelom wrote:

Yes, I get the same page. It means nothing.

That's the post code checker for new customers! Why would you think that new customer get their broadband for free?!

There's actually a 'more' button that shows you more information on the free quick-start and about Virgin's general speeds.

And right below that it has the prices for the packages and £9.99 activation fee.

What has this got to do with upgrades? Nothing. 

VIVID 300 means nothing? How did you come to that conclusion? VM in Ireland VIVID 300 = 360Mb downstream and that was a free upgrade over there. Okay, we are the UK, and I'm not moving to Ireland just for 300Mb service and we have to pay for the upgrade from 200Mb to 300Mb over here, but why would anyone want to pay the Homeworks fee at £9.99? If I was working from home then that maybe a different matter.

I only found out about it last week after my latest bill was generated, and went to My Account, to check it online - that was when I noticed the "Upgrade was Available", at the top of my Billing area (it was not there before). I know either 300Mb or 360Mb was due to be released in Autumn 2016.

Just got the letter, here's the correct URL for the offer, nothing about 300Mb or VIVID 300 - even though I was told different yesterday on the phone.
https://keepup.virginmedia.com/hubupgrade

The trouble with VM is we receive contradicting information depending on whom we speak to - yesterday, the guy was from India, and stated he could waive the £9.99 charge, but anything beyond that was above him, and I would need to call Technical Support (not sure why he even said that!).

I didn't mean new customers get broadband for free, as far as I know it costs around £35.00 a month for 200Mb/10Mb - that link for checking my postcode was in My Account, so I would take that has it was being offered to customers. It is not normally there..

The letter contents as requested:

August 2016 - Important changes to your service.

Hi,

We want your internet experience with us to be the best it can be. And, as you've got an older bit of kit, we'd like to swap it for our latest Hub 3.0 for Free - no catches, no costs. Giving you a better connected broadband at home, as part of our FeelGood summer.

All the best,
The Virgin Media Team

Code at the bottom of the letter is C02114_D005AUG

Regards,

0 Kudos