Menu
angiejones720
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super hub 3

Hi,

I was upgraded to 200 mbs recently and given a Super hub 3. All was great for the first couple of weeks, then I'm lucky if I get 30 ish mbs download, sometimes my upload is more. Would there be a reason for this? Also, are there any lights supposed to flash to say the wifi is working? All I have is a white light to say it's turned on. Is there a way of telling if it's switch to modem only or wifi? Sorry message so long! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super hub 3

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

The Hub 3 does not have any flashing lights when the WiFi is working, there is a help page HERE about the lights on the various VM hubs.  A single white light is indicating that it is working normally in router mode, in modem mode that white light would be purple.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

The Hub 3 does not have any flashing lights when the WiFi is working, there is a help page HERE about the lights on the various VM hubs.  A single white light is indicating that it is working normally in router mode, in modem mode that white light would be purple.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
angiejones720
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanx for ur quick reply. I'm using an Ethernet cable to my pooter, but my phone and tablet are wireless. One minute I can get 200 mb/s download, then I can scan again in a few mins and get as little as 30 mb/s, my upload can be higher, but getting onto the internet is instantaneous with all of my devices. It's crazy! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which should be a text link at the bottom of the screen, although you might have to login if you have never been into the hub settings before. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

lefty74
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your link didn't work, but I found the page here.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

lefty74 wrote:

Your link didn't work, but I found the page here.

My link did work at the time I posted it, but VM have implemented changes to the help pages this evening which has broken all previous help page links.

0 Kudos