Menu
wonko
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Suddenly IP address in wrong country and huge slowdown

About 3 weeks ago my Virgin IP address changed. The first time it has changed in 2 years.

The problem is that every site I go to thinks I am in Scotland. My IP location resolves to somewhere in Edinburgh but I live in Birmingham.

I like Scotland, but I have no desire for my IP address to make every site I visit to think I live there!

More seriously, my speed has dropped from 200Mbs to 9Mbs (or less) during busy times and to low 100's off-peak. My upload speed remains stable and is often greater thanmy download speed.

I am getting nowhere with Virgin support (sigh) and will soon leave if I can't get this resolved. This is pretty much my last attempt to get help.

Have I been shunted onto a much busier network or something?

Any insights as to why it was working fine before IP change will be welcome.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suddenly IP address in wrong country and huge slowdown

Likely been moved to a different CMTS locally while work is happening around the country.

As to IP geo location, it takes a while to update when IP addresses move. The previous owner of the IP would of been in Scotland by the sounds of it. It has no relevance to your internet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

wonko
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. That makes sense for the IP address.

So it looks like I've been shunted to an over-subscribed CMTS and that's what caused the IP address change and simultaneous slowdown.

Why don't Virgin just admit to it instead of getting me to factory reset my router every time I call or sending out new routers that make no difference? They must have the info on over-subscription available.

Is there anything I can do about this slowdown, or do I just have to leave VM? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The phone staff scripts won't know what to say to you.

I'd like this think it's only temporary while they are sorting a CMTS out. Depends if you want to stick it out a bit and see if that's the case or if you just want to up and leave now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question