Menu
Lumenflower
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sub 1mb/s speeds every evening

I have 70 speed 'unlimited' (god that's a joke) broadband. I don't know what to do, my speeds have been averaging 0.47 mb/s every evening during peak hours, from 4/5pm until well after midnight. I can barely load a YouTube video at 144p, let alone watch iPlayer, Netflix or do any online gaming. This has been happening every evening for the past week regardless of whether I've gone over the fair use limit. What's going on? In the SG6 area but there's never any service issues in my area on MyVirginMedia. My cables are secure, I get perfect 40mb/s speeds in the morning before work. I understand restrictions and fair use but why am I being throttled so severely it render the idea of unlimited broadband Internet virtually useless?

Virgin Media picked a funny time to charge me an extra £2.99 a month
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sub 1mb/s speeds every evening

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.  This means that there is not enough bandwidth to go round so everybody in your local area is slowed down, not just you.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Lumenflower wrote:
I have 70 speed 'unlimited' (god that's a joke) broadband. I don't know what to do, my speeds have been averaging 0.47 mb/s every evening during peak hours, from 4/5pm until well after midnight. I can barely load a YouTube video at 144p, let alone watch iPlayer, Netflix or do any online gaming. This has been happening every evening for the past week regardless of whether I've gone over the fair use limit. What's going on? In the SG6 area but there's never any service issues in my area on MyVirginMedia. My cables are secure, I get perfect 40mb/s speeds in the morning before work. I understand restrictions and fair use but why am I being throttled so severely it render the idea of unlimited broadband Internet virtually useless?

Virgin Media picked a funny time to charge me an extra £2.99 a month

Hi Lumenflower,

Scott (SCA1972) is spot on with his response, however, if this problem is high utilisation be under no illusions. Some customers have been waiting over two and a half years for a 'fix' and are still waiting.

There are a few reported high utilisation tickets open for Area 24 which covers Letchworth SG6. Its a big area covering many postcodes so hopefully you won't be in one of the high utilisation ticketed areas.

Don't post a reply, it will prolong a response from a Team Member. One should be along with an official response within a week of your last post to the thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lumenflower,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. 

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

Are you able to complete speed tests whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode please to see if the speeds differ? This will eliminate other devices connected.

Let me know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos