Menu
stelly
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Streaming poor quality with service

Hey,

I have VIVID300 and I'm quite worried about the performance. I'm a part time twitch stream and I'm getting VERY poor streaming quality. It does not stop there as I have poor quality with nearly all streaming services such as bbc iplayer, ITV player, and Netflix.

I did some googling into this and I can see this is a known issue with virgin. I'm in area 20 WA15 and I'm look at cancelling in the next couple of days unless this issue is resolved!

I chatted to someone called Victor that didnt raise a ticket against the account which was not helpful at all!

Thanks,

Stelly

0 Kudos
stelly
Tuning in
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Streaming poor quality with service

Anyone? Smiley Happy I could really do with some help on this one before I cancel...

Thanks,

Stelly

0 Kudos
stelly
Tuning in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Amazing, I am a CCIE and I build my own computer, and I'm being told by some 'technical' guy that its my computer 'renderer' I doubt that a lot, I'm so annoyed with the technical support fobbing me off that the problem is with my computer.

Is there any chance that I might be able to talk to someone that might be able to help?

Stelly

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Forum team take 2-7 days to reply, recently it's closer to the week than 2 days. Every time to reply it puts you to the back of the queue again.

Off shore phone staff are script reading monkeys that will say anything to get you off the phone, they are literally pointless to speak to.

Are you on vivid200 or Homeworks+ (300 down 20 up)?

Part of the problem is being on VM for streaming as they have upload traffic management on normal services, only have to be uploading at around 3.5Mbs for an hour for it to kick in (cuts it by 50%) and if you keep uploading for the next hour it kicks in again (cuts it by 65%). This unfortunately is a trade of for the technology VM use (DOCSIS 3.0) which was designed for TV signal, where upstream wasn't really important.

If BT can offer you decent upload speeds they are your best bet for streaming if you are not in an hyperoptic area.

If it's a known issue in WA15 (area codes are pointless billing codes) then it's likely an over Utilization problem, which will cripple your internet every day at peak times.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
stelly
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I thought that with VIVID 300 that they sorted the upload issue and a constant 20mbps was achievable? I only use the cable for internet and nothing else? Is there any way to speak to someone with half a brain?

0 Kudos
stelly
Tuning in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

wimbledon.PNG

itvplayer_issue.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The Homeworks+ service (the 300Mbs / 20Mbs up... This isn't vivid300, don't know if that's being confused) doesn't have upload traffic management BUT it is still effected by upload contention, which isn't that hard to reach as it only takes ~50Mbs of upload per channel (shared between a lot of customers) to start impacting service.

0 Kudos
stelly
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

What is the difference between Homework and VIVID 300?

Stelly

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

There isn't currently a Vivid 300, as far as I know.

Services like iPlayer, Netflix etc shouldn't be affected by upload traffic management. Only a service like Twitch would be affected, so there must be something wrong somewhere. 

What are your speed test results like? If you could post a test result next time you're having problems watching a stream that would be useful.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Vivid only goes to 200Mbs, Homeworks+ is the beyond (300Mbs)

0 Kudos