Menu
millspeed88
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Still slow speed with SH3

Hi all

I posted last week about slow BB speed. I'm on the VIP bundle with two V6 boxes. All connected via fibre and not getting more than 41mbs (This morning)

I did some speed tests last week, and they came back 39 & mid 40's.

I've just signed in to this forum, and seen a message saying I've had the 'Speedboost'.

Not sure what that means, but I'm still getting a quarter of what I'm supposed to get.

Thanks to Muffintastic? for your reply last week too. Sorry its taken so long to get back to you.

My question is, If I'm told I'll get 200mbs, should I actually get that speed? Am I being overly optimistic? Some of my speed tests were done at 2am, so no chance of a traffic management issue.

If someone from Virgin could get back to me and just let me know what I should expect.

Regards

Steve 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still slow speed with SH3

Hi there Steve,

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds experienced.

I've checked your equipment levels, etc., and I've not been able to detect any faults at present.

You should be reaching very close to 200MB when using a direct connection, hardwired from hub to laptop/PC.

If utilising a wireless connection, I definitely recommend Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channel.

Let me know how you get on with this,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
millspeed88
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Nat J.
I am a little confused though. How long can you buy Ethernet cables these days? Who can honestly ever consider having their laptop wired directly to the router?
Why do Virgin not tell customers that this is what has to be done in order to accomplish 200m?
All they ever do is advertise 200m FIBRE !!! Not once have I heard that you've gotta be sat next to the router with a cable plugged in to get it.
I am disappointed to say the least. Hear I am praising how great the Virgin stuff is, when really, its just the same as Sky. I have no 'Super speedy' internet now because I own a laptop. I would need to sit less than a meter away from my router to get 200m, which is gonna be uncomfortable.
Why are customers missed so so much? Its just great I guess.
Anyway, I may have to look at an alternative and pay the price for cancellation as I'm really not happy with this.
The engineers PDA showed 200m on the day of install, and I don't remember seeing it plugged into the router when he showed me.
On another point, I don't get any 4k either. I've got two V6 boxes, that clearly say '4K UHD' etc, but as I'm a VIRGIN customer, I don't get any SKY or BT 4k TV.
WHY WASN"T I TOLD THIS EITHER?
I would really appreciate a call from a member of the team. I would like to discuss my cancelation options.
Regards
Steve
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've recently switched to the Hub 3 and found the WiFi is actually very good for an ISP supplied router. I can get 200Mb+ all the time. However, you need to make sure you rename the two networks, otherwise your devices may automatically connect to the slower 2.4Ghz band rather than 5Ghz which is best for speed.

To do this log in to your hub, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security, then adjust both of the "Wireless Network Names" so they're not the same. Then re-connect your devices to the 5Ghz network and see if that improves the speed. 

0 Kudos