Menu
beljim7419
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still slow speed after engineer visit.

I was told to post a new thread and go to the back of the queue even though it's the same issue, so here it is.

I had an engineer come out to check my my equipment and line as I'm getting very slow speeds during peek hours.

I had my Router replaced and a filter added due to having a high power levels which I assume has probably helped with packet loss but my speeds are still no better at peek time and I can't stream any video which is my main reason to have Broadband due to not having a TV licenceand all my TV is via On Demand services.

I got some money knocked off last months bill due to this issue but nothing this month and recall someone saying credit should be applied each month as long as the service affected. Who do I contact about this? I've been trying Live chat but it's constantly too busy to join and don't have a land line so don't want to pay using my mobile if possible. I'll keep trying live chat of course but it would be nice if there's an easy way as I expect I'll be trying to get credit for many moth before the problems fixed as I suspect it is all down to contension.

The engineer said it was contention and the area needs 2 more chanels to help but no idea when it will happen.

Heres a couple of recent speed tests. One during peek hours and one out of peek hours.

0 Kudos
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still slow speed after engineer visit.

Hey beljim7419,

This sounds like an unfortunate case of High utilisation in the area. The best way of explaining this, is that the network can support 'x' number of users, and there are more than 'x' currently using it, so the network can't handle the usage.

High utilisation is extremely complicated, in that it takes a long time to upgrade the network in the areas, as our networks (if you've seen a local exchange, you know what I'm talking about) are very complicated, and isn't unfortunately a case of just swapping a couple of cables.

If you're looking on the Service Status page on my.virginmedia.com, does this give any outage information? Would be worth posting the fault reference if so, so that the forum teams can investigate it quicker for you.

If this is High utilisation then you would be entitled to a month by month credit whilst the issue is ongoing. You can discuss this with the technical teams, by calling 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a virgin media landline.

Let us know whether this is a fault viewable on service status, and the forum teams may be able to give you a bit more info to possibly help (however, if it is utilisation, there isn't an awful lot that can be done unfortunately).
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
beljim7419
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for the response. I can't check the fault page as it is ironically down also. I am sure it's not an area fault but a utilisation problem because i's been happening for months.

I'll have to call if i can't get through via Live chat this evening though wanted to avoid the price af a call and hasstle trying to get through to Customer services.

0 Kudos
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you call 0345 454 1111, this is classed as a landline call, so would only use mobile minutes if you have them.

Secondly, yes, there has been an issue with MyVM recently, which I am assuming has now been fixed (working for my personal account), so the service status page should now once again be active. If you need a direct link, you can by visiting http://virg.in/service .

Let us know how it goes, and hopefully results in a possible earlier fix for you (but honestly, I wouldn't hold up much hope if it's utilisation)
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
beljim7419
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tried for over a week to contact online support but it was always too busy whatever time of day I tried, so finally got round to phoning after another dismal weekend with no TV streaming.

Anyhow the update is I'm supposed to be being credited but I haven't confirmed this yet on my bill but it went well last time.

I'm told my issue is over utilisation and will be fixed mid March. Nice to hear and I'd be over the moon if so, but I have no faith this will be the case as they always say that. I'm an optimist so fingers crossed.

Anyhow thanks for the help and I'll update good or bad for other's to see if they fix it or not.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello beljim7419,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the fault in your area. If you keep in touch with us and bump your thread on or after the review date, we will be able to give you a progress update.

I really appreciate your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
beljim7419
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Updating as promised...

Over the last week my internet connection as been fantastic and I've been able to stream 4k during peak hours which has made me very happy.

So touch wood and fingers crossed my area has been fixed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi beljim7419,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm glad you have noticed an improvement with the connection, that is great.

I can see that your connection is now running stable, with no faults reported and the traffic is low, which is good.

If there are any further issues, by all means let us know and we will check this for you.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos