Menu
spm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Status of Utilisation Faults F003748275 / F003717375

I have been informed at various times in recent months that my slow peak time speeds  (for example right now at 7:20 PM om Sunday: 8.5Mbps vs 70Mbps on a wired connection) are caused by fault F003748275 or F003717375. 

There have been some credits, but these ran out and I had to pay full price for March.

Service is still very poor at peak times. Off-peak, the same PC on the same wired connection does see 70Mbps, so this has an external cause.

What is going on?

When, if ever, will this be sorted?

What, exactly, is being done? Waiting for enough people to jump ship and solve the problem by lightening the load? 

2 price rises in the past year and still can't deliver.

I am thinking of jumping ship to BT, but some recent problems with my line (which have mysteriously now vanished) are causing me to hesitate. Also BT's threats to charge over £100 for engineer calls if they feel the urge are off-putting.

Looking to get some confidence that I will actually receive the service that I am paying for (and that the recent outages are not part of a trend) and some real understanding that VM need to fix this.

(I'm allowed to dream, aren't I?)

JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Status of Utilisation Faults F003748275 / F003717375

Don't hold your breath. The utilisation fault that's affecting me F003957459 has been ongoing since October 2015. Prior to that date it was "fixed" for 3 months and was faulty for at least 8 months prior to that. It was last "reviewed" in March 2017 and will be "reviewed" again in December 2017 — by which time I hope to be with another provider!

All I can say is I hope it's good news, but the reality is that utilisation faults can go on for months if not years. It seems that there is absolutely no incentive for VM to fix them if they decide it's not worthwhile. BT can only hit 4 –8 Mbs in my area, which coincidentally is exactly what I get from VM, so it's not like existing VM customers have much choice in my area. It's a case of like it or lump it until VM finally decide or are forced (some hope) to do something about it.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
spm
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think you're right.

Iplayer on my tv 4 feet from router on 5Gz is buffering at 7pm on 14 April unless I drop the video quality to the lowest (below even SD) level.

No response from VM.

This is beyond a joke.
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

spm wrote:
I think you're right.

Iplayer on my tv 4 feet from router on 5Gz is buffering at 7pm on 14 April unless I drop the video quality to the lowest (below even SD) level.

No response from VM.

This is beyond a joke.

There are billboards in my area where VM are advertising 4k streaming TV on their 300Mbs service, yet the reality is that we're lucky to be able to stream YouTube at 240P.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, NowTV etc ... You can forget the things that most people take for granted with so-called super fast broadband. Beyond a joke doesn't even begin to describe it.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi spm,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I've taken a look into the high peak time traffic fault in your area, reference number F003748275, and our engineers are still working on this with a review date of 13th December. As this is a review date it can be subject to change due to the work that is required to improve bandwidth. This can include implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc. which require planning permission.

I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
spm
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

December 13th? Any particular year?

You have got to be kidding!

Right now I am having to to connect via my phone (on O2) because VM connection is so poor that I can't even use the service to reliably update a post complaining about the ****-poor service.

When I was last able to check (19:30 on May 1st), I was getting 5 downstream at best. That's 5 not 50. I pay for 70.

And yet, VM would still happily sell me an upgrade to 200!

It's about time VM halted this mis-selling. Stop offering upgrades and taking on new customers when utilisation faults are known. How can this be legal? Presumably it is because VM are getting away with it.

Apologies for the inconvenience? Not enough. Not anywhere near enough.

I expect this is a waste of effort. If I change to Infinity I will get an upstream boost, loose downstream headline speed but possibly get a useable service in the evening. But it won't have any impact on VM. It won't stop the mis-selling.

Looks like I'm stuffed.

Words fail me
0 Kudos