Menu
saajan_b
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

St Albans Area- Slow speeds

Hi there, I live in the St Albans area (area ref. 31). I am paying for 100mbit speeds but as of recent I have only been getting 1-3bmit regardless of a wired or wireless connection. Rebooting and resetting the Superhub 2ac doesn't help. Also switching between router and modem mode doesn't help (I use an Asus router). This usually only occurs at peak times. This is a clear utilisation issue, is there a timeframe for a fix? A similar thing happened in 2014 where throughout the summer we had sub 1mbit speeds.

If this can't be rectified and this is an ongoing utilisation issue, can my account be credited because at this point I can get faster speeds through an ADSL connection.

Many Thanks,

Kiran

0 Kudos
vmisafjoke
Dialled in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: St Albans Area- Slow speeds

same question, usual answer:

1, because VM is a F Joke.

2, goto 1

3, seriously - they massively oversell capacity, put prices up, peak speeds drop 90 percent, we get promised capacity increases so much that they can double everyones speed...except see 1, you can only use this at 2am Smiley Happy

Enjoy reading this while the mods take a hard earned day off while we suffer trying to use internet at weekends ....will all be deleted come monday morning as they try to hide their shame

worse still - our speed double put back from now to jan-july 2017, so much for fixing the capacity here and giving us speed boost haha just price rises and speed cuts, and no one to fix these weekend outages when we have to deal with 100mb becoming 3 mb download

AND they throttle netflix already! - can prove with side by side vpn over same line...
0 Kudos
saajan_b
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

They also definitely throttle YouTube too, my 7mbit line from sky definitely loads youtube faster at peak times, it's ridiculous.

Kiran
0 Kudos
joedp
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am experiencing the same issue in the same area I normally get around 150 as advertised, Now im getting 2.5 beyond a joke

0 Kudos
ScrabblePants
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am also in area 31, my net went floppy yesterday evening (saturday) - I tend to game a lot in the evenings and use teamspeak, so notice right away when everyone's voices distorted, my game then also became choppy due to extremely poor connection.

I was pretty shocked to see 5mbs on speedtest.net as i usually see speeds over 150mbs.

This has continued through today yet their status says everything is fine and the test comes back without issue too.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi saajan_b

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Many apologies that you're experiencing slow broadband speeds. 

When I checked your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003996410 and with a review date of 21st September.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

St. Albans (Area 31) resident here too. I'm on VIVID200 and for the past two weeks (June-July 2016) come around 16:00 in the afternoon the best I can get downloading any files of any kind is 50-80kb. Yes KB!  iPlayer/on-demand is unusable in any form whatsoever but surfing the web is fine. It's just file downloads. Had an engineer visit and an hour-long tech call but apparently all is well. Pre-16:00 I get as fast speeds as I like.

Fast.com registers around 5-10MB, Speedtest says 100-200MB as usual :/

The tech call did say there was some network works going on as there are too many users in Area 31 but this would take until October. Can anyone shed any light on why our speeds are so low?

0 Kudos
JaiFriday
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have been a Virgin Customer for years,

And I have been badly effected by extremly slow speeds also. for a while on and off and it has become a constant issue now.

I used to have a 60meg line which was wonderful about a year/year and a half ago then I upgraded my Virgin package to get Tivo and at the time i also got a broadband upgrade to 100meg.

And since then I never got the speeds I used to get with the original 60meg line.

Now I believe ..... the original line may of been uncontended meaning I was sharing the band width with everyone else

And the 100 meg line (by the way my account says its upto 152meg unlimited HA!!!) is contended so I sharing with everyone.

If I have spare hour to ring virgin i will (UNLESS THERE SERVICE IS GOOD AND THEY SEE THIS MESSAGE #replyhere) , I am going to ring to do one of two things ...

1) Ask for some recompense as the Broadband is that bad

2) Cancel Virgin  as company of this size should be able to do something for me.

By the way here are test results just to show you how bad it is. Also please be aware i have run these tests on my Laptop which is connected Wireless and my Desktop PC which is wired in.

Yesterday is a pefect example from both pc's

Ran a broadband speed test around 11pm last night and 1am in the morning

download speed 2.8 Mb

Upload speed 24.8 Mb

Then reset the router

download speed 12.4 Mb

Upload speed 40 Mb

This to me proves a utilisation problem also and after the router rebout about 10 to 15 minutes it went back to 2.8 ish meg

Now I appreciate a contented line means you wont get top speeds to 152 Mb but alway down to 2.8 Mb is really taking the #!%*

And from what i have read on other post apparently the Area is being Reviewed in October ... That will probably mean yes it will be reviews followed by many more months of silence be any action occurs

My total package for virgin is over £90 pound a month, That is extortionate for what service i am getting

0 Kudos
CRstAlbans
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

UTTERLY USELESS for me too. When will this stop!

Must we wait until the end of September at the earliest? 

I had a technician at mine who literally had no resolution for me in area 31, I get 50mbps during the day and then at around 5 I drop to 2 or 3mbps. Making the service unusable and unacceptable.

0 Kudos
Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just been told this will continue until...... 22nd January 2017.

0 Kudos