Menu
Sdarby
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Speedtest.net virgin servers

When I do a speedtest.net and the default server is in my city (Bristol) and run by Virgin Media, I get full speed or at least a decent speed. I have a 150mbps connection by the way. I'm happy with anything above 50 in practice.

The story is different if I test against a server in my city run by someone other than Virgin. Or servers run by others in a number of nearby places- Newport, Cardiff, Gloucester. Here the best speed I get is about 25mbps if I'm lucky.

If I jump a bit further out to Birmingham, but use a Virgin server there, the speed jumps above 50 again. Strange that Virgin seems to be they key factor rather than proximity...

The non-Virgin speeds match with the YouTube streaming speed I see on my 4K TV, which reaches 20-25 tops and often fails to reach the required speed for 4K and settles on 1440p, or worse, 1080p.

I feel like Virgin are being pretty sneaky setting up speedtest.net servers which will report better speeds than you would typically get in the real world, where you are downloading and streaming from what will generally be servers not run by Virgin.

I spoke to Virgin on the phone about slow speed and they got me to do the pinhole reset. When this didn't work they said they'd send me a new router- I have 2.0 and I think I'll be getting 2.0ac. That's welcome but for some reason I don't think the router will help. I'm doing wired tests by the way,

Can Virgin do anything to improve my 'real world' speed? What do others think about the speedtest.net behaviour?

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speedtest.net virgin servers

common practice with ISPs to set up their own repos of speed tests to deceive the user on actual real world throughput.

The problem is that the internet has varied throughput depending upon which lines / exchanges / whatever are used. Also the time of day, since congestion can be anywhere.

Virgin can't really do anything, they could play about and change your channels around maybe, which might improve your throughput but chances are they can't do anything unless its an expansion in capacity or so. Which if you browse around to some threads, can take upwards of 2+ years. Sometimes it never happens.

Just move on when you are out of contract, i'll probably end up doing that. A constant 80/20 is better than an intermittent 330/21

Sdarby
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speedtest.net virgin servers

Thanks for the honest reply! Unfortunately I am so close to the exchange I have a direct line and no option of fibre (as they only upgrade cabinets). This is better than ADSL sadly...
0 Kudos