Menu
ian1969uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Speeds so slow since 200 mbps upgrade

Hi, my contract was up today so phoned to get a better deal to stay for a further 12 months.

As a part of that deal I was offered an upgrade to 200mbps broadband, from the 100mbps I was on. Before the upgrade I was consistently getting download speeds of around 100mbps, often just over, say 103. Upload speed was around 6.

Now, after the upgrade, the download speeds are appalling. The speed test I have just done showed a download speed of 24.85mbps. The upload is 12.28 so I can see that the upgrade has been applied.

Question is why would my download speeds be so much worse after a supposed upgrade to double speed?

Thanks.

ian1969uk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speeds so slow since 200 mbps upgrade

Also discovered speed is no different whether connecting over 2G or 5G, I'm sure that's not right!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is terrible, what speeds do you get wired?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
ian1969uk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Don't have a wire to test it, but previous speeds of around 100 mbps were on wifi, nothing about my wifi connection has changed so the fact it is wireless can't account for a drop from 100 to 25 on the exact same connection.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't have to be your set up changing. Neighbours can change too and it will effect yours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Without a wired test to confirm the slow speeds this might be waste of time but you could post some hub stats.

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens then post them here. The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly.

Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread in a few days and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
ian1969uk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shaf, I know there are other factors but this changed literally the minute after the guy on the phone told me he had activated the Vivid 200. It's just too much of a coincidence not to be something to do with that.

0 Kudos
ian1969uk
Tuning in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
ian1969uk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Untitled 2.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I can't see the pic you attached until the mods approve it (probably tomorrow morning), copying and pasting the figures would be best.

Has the hub been powered off and on again since the upgrade?  I think I had to do that when mine was activated to get full speed, or that might have been on a previous speed upgrade.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos