Menu
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Speeds In Area 12 Unsatisfactory

I got a 50Mbits connection in Area 12 nearly 2 weeks ago. After a promising start, throughout this weekend I have, at best, 18Mbps and as little as 10Mbps using the ThinkBroadband speed checker. In it's single threaded download test I get 1-2Mbps!

Is this par for the course please? I would appreciate any comment on your experience, similar or otherwise.

If so, I'm going back to PlusNet ADSL as this was cheaper, consistently 10-12Mbps and more importantly, I was getting what I paid for.

Frankly, I feel conned.

Thank you very much.

Helpful Answers
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speeds In Area 12 Unsatisfactory

There is a fault affecting Virgin Media connections at the moment, causing slow speeds on traffic which passes through LINX (the London Internet Exchange). This includes ThinkBroadband.com

If everything was OK prior to this weekend, chances are your problem is related to this fault and things will be back to normal as soon as it's resolved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a fault affecting Virgin Media connections at the moment, causing slow speeds on traffic which passes through LINX (the London Internet Exchange). This includes ThinkBroadband.com

If everything was OK prior to this weekend, chances are your problem is related to this fault and things will be back to normal as soon as it's resolved.

0 Kudos
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That's good information thank you.

It seems the speeds were OK Sat and Sun AM using TBB (50-54 bursting to 70) but aftr midday it drops like a stone. Will keep an eye on it.

0 Kudos
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Looks like cje85 was right.

Things have improved since I threw my proverbial toys out. TBB is now showing upwards of 40Mbps.

However, it got me to thinking what is the most consistent and reliable way to test. I tried the Which? tester but the server it uses keeps changing: London, Maidenhead and so on.

Then I found Speedtest.net and was able to choose which server to use. This reduces all the variables to a minimum if you can force it to use the same server again and again giving more meaningful back-to-back tests. Immediately it gave better results and TBB has recovered to similar levels.

0 Kudos