Menu
EthanB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Speed

I have just upgraded to the supposed 200 Mbps service, yet my speed hasn't changed at all. Am I limited by my geographic area and, if so, have I been mis-sold the service?  My current speed is around 75 Mbps. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed

First of all I would test the actual speed of the connection by testing with a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet adapter connected directly to the hub by Cat5e or better ethernet cable.

I would test the speeds during the day and again during the evening peak.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'd echo the suggestion from @griffin, but in addition you might want to check that your hub has correctly picked up the new 200Mbs config.

Go to http://192.168.0.1/ to get the super hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. On the next screen click on Configuration then look for Primary Downstream Service Flow. Under that heading the value for Max Traffic Rate should be 230000000 bps if your hub is correctly configured for 200Mbs.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Possibly another customer who doesnt explain what his set up or any tests in detail

then goes to blame VM ....

annoying to say the least

0 Kudos
EthanB
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks griffin. I'll give that a go.

0 Kudos
EthanB
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott. I'm using the latest hub, whichever number that is. I'm not a complete newby so should be fine with your instructions.  I followed the prescribed setup routine and my old router did flash when I made the phone call.  I also did the reset function after installing the new one.  Assuming my router does not say it's set to 200, what would be the procedure to correct it?

0 Kudos
EthanB
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Completely pointless answer chulwutt. I haven't blamed anyone.  Just asked questions. Please re read my post. In future, don't use my posts to increase your own post count

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

EthanB wrote:

Thanks Scott. I'm using the latest hub, whichever number that is. I'm not a complete newby so should be fine with your instructions.  I followed the prescribed setup routine and my old router did flash when I made the phone call.  I also did the reset function after installing the new one.  Assuming my router does not say it's set to 200, what would be the procedure to correct it?

If the config is wrong you would need to get VM to send the correct config to the hub.  Not sure if the forum team could sort that for you or if you would need to call in.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
EthanB
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bizarre. Speed actually slower when hard wired, 45 Mbps.  Also, router saying incorrect password so wouldn't let me in to check settings. Called tech support. Apparently my area isn't fully up to date until sometime in March. They ran through some resets and remote checks, but nothing has changed and I still can't log in to router settings. Ah, well.

0 Kudos
EthanB
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Found correct password and got in. Router is set to the correct bps. Thank you.
0 Kudos