Menu
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Speed

Hi,

I have your Router VMDG480.......probably obsolete now!

Below is latest network log (meaningless to me) which I believe you will probably ask me for

I am supposed to have Vivid 100 optical which should give me speeds up to....I have no idea, but would surmise that it should, under ideal conditions (none of which are achievable), maximise at 100mbps.

Using ookla I get download speeds maxing at about 20mbps but more often than not speeds are closer to 10mbps than they are 20.

I have to use a powerline in order that I get anything upstairs in our home which incidentally has V+ downstairs, Tivo upstairs. The house is an old one and historically, VM have never really solved the problem of poor BB provision. (The original suggestion was to nail the BB cabling, non-optical in these days, down and across our newly laid hard-wood flooring being summarily rejected)

V+ has just been replaced as the old box gave up the ghost.

Tivo is painfully slow but I believe there is a fix for this which will be rolled-out over the next several years.....

I get what seems like dozens of Football channels and an equivalent number of Movie Channels none of which I watch or want.

I do watch every other sport known to man but to do so, I am compelled to pay for Football......

For this, we fork out £140 per month.

What can be done about this? We haven't complained recently so I am perfectly happy to consider this as a first time "complaint" which really is more about what should or can we do about this

Network Log

First TimeLast TimePriorityError NumberDescription
 09/00/2017 17:07:50  09/00/2017 17:07:50  Error (4)  68010400  DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 07/00/2017 20:51:39  07/00/2017 20:51:39  Critical (3)  82000500  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 10/00/2017 00:08:03  10/00/2017 00:08:03  Critical (3)  2436694078  TOD established 

Thank you,

Colin Brown

0 Kudos
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed

As a result of my having VM check out my Broadband, download speeds are now an electric 31 to 32 Mbps.
Thank you very much indeed for that!!

What speed am I supppsed to get???

Nobody has however responded to any of the other points I made.
Happier but still a long way to go as there are so many issues!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What do you get with a direct connection, and not through the powerline adapters?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question
0 Kudos
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply:
Downstairs no power line:
Download is 36mbps
Upload is: 6
Ping is: 8

Upstairs no power line:
Download is 0.6mbps
Upload is 0.2mbps
Ping is 10

Cheers
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Surprised there is a difference wired directly to the hub between upstairs/downstairs. Or was this wireless?
0 Kudos
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.
Results are for wireless!
Really need to get this sorted out as my whole network is a mess and I am not too confident about some of this stuff in general! Being 73 years old I am a fully paid up member of the BoF's Club.....
Cheers.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You are going to need to test wired, directly into the hub then. Both wireless and powerline adapter tests are no good for determining if there is a fault or not, or if you are just hitting eithers limitations.
0 Kudos
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don't believe there is a real problem and put my difficulties down to obsolete equipment and poor support.
By way of example....the V+ box chucked it a couple of weeks ago. I called Virgin and "tech" told me it was HDMI problem. I explained that I had changed the cable TWICE since the problem had reared its ugly head. He became stroppy and descended into a huff!!
Reported problem again and they sent out a replacement V+ box...... What would have happened had I been a new customer?
They wouldn't have fobbed me off with a V+ box.... Do they still make them? Will they send out a new Super Hub....?.... Nah!! Had enough!!!
This is an example of what we get for £140 per month
Candidly, I'm sick of it and unless something radical happens soon I cannot imagine being a "loyal customer" for too much longer!
However, thank you for your help....its not your fault.....incidentally, do people employed by Virgin ever visit these forums as it would be nice to have an official response?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The VM forum team take about 1-2 weeks to reply (from your last post, so don't reply any more if you want a reply from them).

But they will want a direct hub to equipment test as well. It's the only true way to diagnose an issue from your end as anything else has too many variables.
0 Kudos
auldyin
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Bump
0 Kudos