Menu
Linor2007
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Speed was 200mbs dropped to 20mbs

Hi all, hoping for some help, I switched to Virgin in June, when they cabled our street.  Everything working fine and getting wireless speeds of 200mbs (and sometimes above this) so more than happy.  

I switched the SuperHub into modem mode and connected to my Asus RT-N66U router, which I had previously used with my BT infinity, once that was configured everything was still working at great speeds and I had no complaints.

Since the start of this week, speeds are barely getting above 20mbs, even when right beside the router, the service status seems to suggest no issue with the service, but there must be something not quite right.  

Is there any help that people can offer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed was 200mbs dropped to 20mbs

Test your speed by wire.

Its never clear why wireless speeds go fast some days then others but its not VM problem there are too many unknowns as in what else is in the air that could impact the wireless speed.

0 Kudos
Linor2007
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response, I will have to get an Ethernet cable tomorrow to try the wired speed. But I do find it strange that the wireless speed has dropped so significantly when everything else has remained the same. I have even taken the superhub out of modem mode and used it directly and got no change in speed. All very strange and a little concerning.

Thanks again for your response.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Linor2007

Welcome to the community, it's nice to have you here.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, I noticed there was high traffic during peak hours. I have raised this to our networks team for further investigation. Once I have more information I will let you know.

As this is during peak hours, do you get the same speeds during the daytime?

If so the next step would be to complete speed tests through a wired connection (preferably a Cat 5e or above Ethernet cable) direct to the Hub 3.0 (left in modem mode) without your router attached to see if the speeds differ.

Have you tried to change the wireless channel on your router to see if that improves the wireless speeds?

Will speak to you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Linor2007
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha_L,

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I have managed to borrow a CAT 6 cable from work so I will run the wired tests this evening.

Just checking, I turn off my asus router, keep the Virgin router with the purple light on front, then run speed test over the Cat 6 cable?

To be honest the speeds seem to be slow for the majority of the day, which is what originally concerned me, even at midnight last night I was still only getting 20mbs.

Many thanks again for your help. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Linor2007

With your Asus router you will need to completely remove it from the Hub 3.0, so just remove the Ethernet cable as you will need that port to use for your PC/laptop. So the connection will be Hub 3.0 in modem mode (purple LED light on the front) > CAT 6 cable > PC/laptop.

When you get home, on the device you will be testing from, make sure that it has a gigabit LAN card. I will be in the office tonight if you need me to check anything later, otherwise complete the speed tests when you get chance.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Linor2007
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha_L,

I tried the wired connection this evening, turned off the Asus Router, connected from the White Virgin Box (with purple light on the front) to the laptop using the Cat 6 cable which I borrowed from work and nothing, the computer could not even pick up wired connection.  The network was there but there was no internet access....(I am guessing I have done something wrong).

On testing the wireless connection this evening at 1120, the speed was around 13 - 17mbs. 

Happy to keep trying to get a wired connection reading, really not sure what I did wrong in the connection.

I would again appreciate any help that you might be able to give me.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Linor2007
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha_L

I reset the virgin router back to router mode and ran the wired connection that way, the speed was not significantly different between wired and wireless - about 26mbs at 0025 hours.  

Not sure if this tells you anything.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Linor2007
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha_L,

Sorry for all the messages, as in my previous message I took the Virgin router out of Modem Mode last night and I am currently using it for the internet connection. 

I tried wired and wireless connections today. The wired connection is still up and down, speedtest.net giving readings between 20mbs and 254mbs

speed test.JPGmbs 

I was running the wireless speed test at the same time and again it is varying between 15mbs and 100mbs.  So all in all I am not really sure what this means, the quality of the signal is up and down?

Is there any advice that you can offer, or is there anything else that I can run?

Many thanks and again sorry for all the messages.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Morning Linor2007

Thanks for getting back in touch and completing the speeds tests.

That last speed test result is looking much better and I understand that they can vary, especially when in router mode as other devices are connected at the same time.

With modem mode when you plug in the Ethernet cable (closet port to the coax cable), reboot the router to make sure it assigns your PC with an IP address. Hopefully the internet will then work for you. Once it does complete speed tests at different times of the day so we can see if the speeds are consistent. In terms of the wireless speeds you can try to change the wireless channel to see if that improves the connection.

Speak soon
Sam

0 Kudos