Menu
Dirty-Magic
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speed upgrade gone

Hi, I've been a Virgin broadband customer for years and in 2015 had a notice on my account screen telling me about a free speed upgrade from my 50mb to 70mb which got postponed throughout 2016. I added a TV package to my broadband around October/November last year and my free speed upgrade disappeared. I left it for a while thinking it would update my account and pop back up. I checked today to see that my upgrade has been completed so now I can enjoy my increase from 50mb to 50mb. Just wondering why I no longer qualify for the extra 20mb as I've actually added to my services and my broadband hasn't been touched?

Thanks,

Neil.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speed upgrade gone

You are not alone Neil.  I've seen several posts in these forums in the past from people who have suffered the same fate ... get their speed boost, then make a minor change to the package and the boost gets taken away.  Utter madness.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's purely because you changed your contract. When you took out the extra services your 50Mbs got changed to the superfibre50 version, which is not eligible for a speedboost.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are not alone Neil.  I've seen several posts in these forums in the past from people who have suffered the same fate ... get their speed boost, then make a minor change to the package and the boost gets taken away.  Utter madness.

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's purely because you changed your contract. When you took out the extra services your 50Mbs got changed to the superfibre50 version, which is not eligible for a speedboost.

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:

I am not doubting your explanation but as a policy it still doesn't make any sense does it.

Electron
Dirty-Magic
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies, now I know why the speed upgrade went. To think a simple sentence by Virgin Media to anyone who is changing their package while waiting for the increase could inform them of what will happen and not be left in the dark.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq

It's a grey area.

They want all new contracts to be on the same tiers so there are not so many tiers to work around. Heck I've lost my speedboost too when negotiating discount (and consequently a package change from 70 to 100Mbs as with discount it was cheaper).

I'd love to have 150Mbs, but it's not going to happen.

I do have a bit of a blergh issue with it to a point as my partner changed her package 3 times in period for eligibility (majority happened between December 2015-January 2016), from 152 > 200 > 152 > 100. Then come march when our areas speed boost got unlocked, I got my speed boost. I changed my package after, she didn't look for the speed boost as we assumed she wouldn't get it anymore.

Come June time i was over hers having a poke around for her, saw she had the banner for the speed boost, was a bit miffed as I lost mine after changing, but I hit the button and lo and behold she got the speed boost (and has discounts on the account too).

So not sure how/what the policy is, or if she is just a lucky one.

OokraMoO
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Same happened to me, talk to Virgin live chat, they up it again for you Smiley Happy