was wondering, FTTP ?

is that practical , 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed slows when its rained !!

Not with VM currently. The FTTP installs are only happening in project lightning areas. And even then its still Hybrid, its just FTTP with a box to convert to Hybrid at your property  instead of FTTC. ACTUAL FTTP is only available from a few providers and costs a pure fortune unless your in a block of flats that can split the cost. Basically because DOCSIS3.1 (coming soon,allegedly)  offers FTTP speeds so why "upgrade"

0 Kudos
andrewmm
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why upgrade you ask,

I just want reliable, not an upgrade,

Seems co ax and rain over this sort of distance do not lead to a reliable system,.

Thought just pulling a fibre duct through the trunking and blowing a fibre might give a reliable system,

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The distance from the cabinet should not matter (Unlike BT's ADSL system). You could be up to 2Km from the opical node where the optical signal is converted to  a RF signal and transmitted through an amplified coax cable to your local cab.

However, the greater the distance from your home to the cab, the greater the power attenuation (loss) will be, especially on the higher frequencies. So it would be worth checking the hub's power levels, when it is fine and when it rains.

It would be also worth locating the drop point outside your home (small metal cover stamped CATV) when it is raining to check for standing water. Water can get into the connector and degrade your signal,

0 Kudos
andrewmm
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the co ax was upgraded to a fatter one about 5 years ago when we increased speed to I think 60 Mb due to the old thinner one having to variable an attenuation dependent upon weather ..

We went up to 100, and was ok,

Been on 200 for I think about a year, 

and we seem to be suffering the same sorts of weather related problems as before.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi andrewmul,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with the broadband speeds when the weather changes. 

I've checked your connection for any issues, the line and hub are showing as fine. The network segment is running stable and healthy. The router is showing as being online for over 125 days, so when you get chance a reboot will be helpful.

I can see that griffin gave some great advice in regards to when you notice the speeds drop check the power levels to see if they change at all. The power levels are currently showing as within range at + 5 dBmV, it will be interesting to see if these go any higher/lower when it does rain. What speeds do you achieve when you notice this issue?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
andrewmm
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

will reset as you suggest,

Used to have the old modem on a time switch as found that resetting regularly made a significant improvement to link reliability.

might give that a try on this one. Cant be any worse.

Re you tests, I'm guessing its the 'power levels' and the SNR your reading, which I agree are indictive of the possible data rate, but the data rate is what I'm seeing as varying, 

0 Kudos