Menu
Strummer
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speed problems?

Strange problem. Since last night I am having problems with my broadband.

If I am watching a film online and someone else uses the internet the picture pixelates until the other person has finished what they are doing online. These are just an example and applies to any use of more than one internet devices.

I have run speed checks and am getting 50mbps. When running the test there is no internet for anyone else.

I have been a VM user for about a month and until today there has been sufficient bandwidth for everyone. Nothing has changed in terms of our useage

I have reset and rebooted hub, run tests and made sure all wired connections are good.

Any help and suggestions welcome
0 Kudos
Forgotten
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed problems?

I'd just like to clarify

So can more than 1 person be connect and do a task like browse the web which is not intensive and does this only occur once someone is running let's say a speed test or steaming video?

Are you able to run a speed test from your phone using the wireless network and check that it does not affect any of the wired/wireless devices? in the process.

This also does not seem as if it is a "Speed Issue" but more or less the internal network itself as I really don't see someone using the internet could stop a stream with a 50mbps connection.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - How everyone in a technical field should think.
0 Kudos
Strummer
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions.

Since yesterday, if more than one person is using the internet, performance has deteriorated, it has occurred no matter what is attempted.

I have run a speed test from my phone, but when doing so, if (for example) a person is using iPlayer the picture breaks up and is unwatchable for the duration of the test. This has happened to both wired and wireless devices.
0 Kudos
Forgotten
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

From the way you have explained it on the forum I'd have to say it was down to the router (Provided you don't have your own equipment Switches, Routers etc..)

This is definitely a failure on part due to the network itself and not the 50mbps connection, I'd have to suggest trying to reset the router back to it's factory state I don't think it will correct the issue but it can always surprise you, I believe there is a fault with the hardware itself having being unable to handle the connection from more than 1 device and having to drop others to keep that connection alive and stable it's way of prioritizing the device that requires the most.

I'd suggest you request a new router and if you have a spare lying around possibly an old model or your last ISP's plug it in and test it.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - How everyone in a technical field should think.
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Strummer

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing when streaming. I've run some checks and everything looks ok with your connection. It's good to hear that your speed test results are all ok.

You've mentioned using iPlayer when this happens, does this happen on any other streaming services or just with iPlayer?  What device are you using to stream? 

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos