Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 39 (645 Views)

Speed problems on Dunstable UBR? (area 24)

[ Edited ]

Hi

Since the connection dropped late at night last week (I think it was Wednesday night/Thursday morning) our speeds have been through the floor. around 20-40mb down on a 200mb package, as shown by both speed tests and general downloads. 

My Brother in law on the same street is also reporting the same issue.

I've run the VM diagnostics from the "help" page which show no problem with our equipment, and there are no listed issues for the area in regards to broadband.

Is anyone else having a problem in the Luton/Dunstable area?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Joining in
Message 32 of 39 (543 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Adrian_B
‎25-04-2017 12:49

Re: Speed problems on Dunstable UBR? (area 24)

I had a phone call this afternoon from the engineer who came out last week (so thanks for him keeping me updated - good customer service).  The problem that started around Easter has been fixed and a new config will be "pushed out" to everyone tonight.  I rebooted my router on the off-chance and seem to have picked up the new config as I now have my old (pre-Easter) speeds back.

He also advised that they should be upgrading the network in the Dunstable area in late May, earlier than before due to the numerous issues in the area which should sort the ongoing utilisation issue.  Obviously that could change but at least having more than 2Mb/s is an improvement.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 39 (639 Views)

Hi,

I just posted about this a few minutes ago, and the poor customer service I've received from the phone people.

I'm paying for 100MB, and getting less than 10MB. I'm in Houghton Regis, and the connection has been going up and down (mostly down) for the past few months. The phone support people keep trying to blame me, but when I push for an engineer or a supervisor, they start saying that it's a local area fault.

After a 30 minute conversation last night, they said that it would be fixed by 0900 this morning. Just did another check on speed, and I'm still under 10MB, so assuming that the fault is still there, and they're lying through their teeth again.

Tuning in
Message 3 of 39 (636 Views)

Hi,

I am in the Luton/Dunstable border area and I too have been experiencing very poor speeds. I used to get around 60Mbps on my Vivid 100 package which then dropped down to around 30Mbps. I rang up VM cust svs, they offered me an upgrade to Vivid 150. For a couple of days I was getting around 86 Mbps.

Early last week (Tues) I got a new router put the SH3 in modem mode and was surprised to get over 103Mbps, however my joy was shortlived, by Friday the speed was down to 30Mbps, then 25.. Over the weekend it has been crashing down to 8Mbps and this morning it touched dialup modem speeds around 0.58Mbps.

What on earth is going on VM ????. Sort this out.. or you will get a mass migration of your customers to BT /Sky / Talk Talk etc.....

Tuning in
Message 4 of 39 (633 Views)

For info,  my upload speed is faster than my download... is anyone else experiencing that as well.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 39 (598 Views)

I am also having problems and have been since November. Was promised by vm that upgrade works would be complete by 9am this morning. This has not happened as speeds on a 50mb line are actually 0.45mb. Will be cancelling my service as soon as I get time to.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 39 (594 Views)

[ Edited ]
I managed to get through to the call centre who claimed that they are aware of the problem and technical work should be completed by 4pm tommorrow... judging by what other forum members have posted about vm promises am not very hopeful.. lets see what happens...
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 39 (564 Views)

So much for it being fixed by 9am yesterday.

I tried the connection last night - less than 5MB. Tried at 4:30 this morning and got 75MB, so I thought it was fixed.

Tried again now (9:50am), and down to 2.7MB, 9.4MB, 1.9MB over three tests.

This is a joke.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 39 (546 Views)

Things seem to be getting worse rather than better, we're down to 9mb/s down according to the speed tests, with a ping in the 100-200ms region and we can't even watch youtube properly let alone netflix.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 39 (539 Views)

I'm in LU5 area was told will be sorted by wednesday 9am getting less than 1m via wired connection been told 3 times now alternate fix times

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 39 (520 Views)

Down to 1.85MB and 1.77MB now, according to speedtest.net

And just received my latest bill. They want another £55 from me.. Think they're due yet another phone call.

0 Kudos