Menu
hecticben
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Speed not as it seems?

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my fibre from Vivid 200 to Vivid Gaming 200 as I was told by Virgin that on V200 my speeds were affected the more I upload/download. I was told that with VG200 this wasn't the case, I could upload/download as much as I'd like and I'd be fine, my speeds would stay the way they should.

A couple of nights ago I was uploading something to DropBox and it was taking a lot longer than normal.. however my speed tests were coming back fine. Then yesterday I was uploading and it said it would take around 5-7 days to do it. I reached out to DropBox and they said it was more than likely Virgin's problem.

My speed (wirless) is coming in at around 160mb down and 18mb up.. the file I was uploading was around 4GB.. My maths can be dodgy, but 4GB on a 18mb up doesn't work out at 5-7 days right?

Virgin haven't answered any of my tweets so I've come here.. any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed not as it seems?

Vivid 200 does indeed get traffic managed/slowed down between certain times if you exceed the permitted limits, where as Gaming 200 does not.. so you were not misinformed or miss sold... What they did not tell you is that upgrading will not bypass any "High utilisation" or faults on the network, which VM has plenty of, not saying thats the case but it should not be ruled out.

Secondly using wireless for anything always puts a question mark above it when something goes wrong (VM having the worst wireless in history and all), if possible any fault/checks need to be done hardwired to the superhub.

Thirdly make sure no other process is using the upload/download at the time (E.g.Windows update) or other people using the internet at the same time... things like having a torrent client open even if not downloading can really mess up speeds.

And lastly do you have Windows 10? Windows 10 does a metric crap tonne of uploading/downloading you had no idea it was doing or wanted it to do... Didnt really think it was a FREE operating system did you? lol.

0 Kudos
hecticben
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I was the only one uploading/downloading.. I can't hardwire, as the router is in the room below.

I am indeed on Windows 10.. is there anyway I can monitor what's being uploaded/download?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
shaft1973
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

when did vivid 200 become traffic managed? i know when i signed up it was the top speed and was told completely unlimited no traffic management. i see it is no longer the top pakage. i thought virgin should inform of this at least the scammers

0 Kudos
hecticben
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeh I wasn't happy, I told the guy in Live Chat that I was never told that.. his response was "Sorry Ben, we don't tend to tell people that on a daily basis, as it doesn't affect the vast majority" .. unbelievable

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

shaft1973 wrote:

when did vivid 200 become traffic managed? i know when i signed up it was the top speed and was told completely unlimited no traffic management. i see it is no longer the top pakage. i thought virgin should inform of this at least the scammers

Nothing has changed with VIVID 200, it has no downstream traffic management but has always had upstream traffic management. 

0 Kudos