Menu
jamminjp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speed in Area04 - slow for 2 weeks

Well for about 2 weeks I have had very intermittent speed at peak times, as soon as 12am comes I get 100mb download, and my upload is solid at 6mb ALL day.
Peak times and I get from 1.2mb to 35mb sometimes to low to stream Netflix or Amazon HD

For once I don't believe I have downloaded too much or streamed too much!

Saturday night I spoke to customer service and got passed about 3 times and each time no one had a clue, I was being told to reset the router to default, restart the PC in safe mode!

When I did speak to technical support I was told I they were going to refresh my account and that would fix my problems, I said 100% that will fix the issue? Yes that will fix the issue.

WELL GUESS WHAT?! 

It did not fix the slow speed on sunday at peak time and come 12.15am I had 92mb download speed!

What gives?
Why am I paying for 100mb to only receive 100mb out of peak hours?

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed in Area04 - slow for 2 weeks

Hi Jason

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jason, what area are you in, I know 04 but where about in green Britain.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
jamminjp
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

After reading various posts I did think this would be the case, I have had no complaints with service but of late it is shocking.
The outsourced CS/Tech support has been next to useless tbh.

0 Kudos
jamminjp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am in Kingswinford

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamminjp,

Sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds, I've just checked your connection and can see no issues from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention all look healthy. How are you connecting to the hub? If wireless it's likely down to wireless interference. Could you try a wired connection and let us know if this improves things?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jamminjp
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply.

I connect wirelessly and wired, I have a gigabit switch and cables for wired connections.

During none peak time I get what I pay for, but as soon as peak hours hit the download speed drops, but never the upload.
I have a friend in the same area and he is getting the same, in fact you have supplied him a new as the outsourced tech support said his router was faulty router and its still the same for him.

One of your techs did change his IP address to a different range ans he did get the speed he was paying for,,,,,,,,

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Image removed (contains IP address), please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
jamminjp
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Download and Upload speed with IP removed

speed.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jamminjp, 

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the information supplied. I have taken another look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

I am not seeing any issues during peak hours. So it may help to see a BQM (please be aware link is external and we're not responsible for its contents). 

It may also help to pop the Hub into Modem only Mode with the computer in safe mode with networking and let us know if it makes a difference. 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jamminjp
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the advice,

I'm just wondering how a PC in safe mode will improve my rubbish peak wireless speed and wired on any device?

Also I get a constant 100mb out of peak hours and then cut down speed as soon as I get home and want to use it!

I will set up the monitor and post the results.

0 Kudos