Menu
muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Speed far short of expectation

Well given the recent price increases .... I believe its time to check exactly what i am paying for.

My speed has never seemed to be as good as it should be 150mbs quoted so i have set up a raspberry pi directly on the modem to check my speeds by the hour. My highest speed appears to be 48 mb/s and my lowest has been 8mb/s.

Now i know expecting 150 mb/s just is not going to happen but with the 2nd price increase this year i am no longer going to tolerate a third (and less) of a service.

What i would like to know before i start creating an issue is...

When Virgin advertised the upgrade to the vivid service it actually said fibre is connected right up to the property. Well the cable has never been changed so is still the original copper cable. Should this have been upgraded?

I am running the router in Modem mode does this have any affect on the speed ?

thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed far short of expectation

Hiya muzzzzy,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004234789 and with a review date of 14th December.

For better testing, you can complete speed tests direct to the Super Hub (leaving it in modem mode) as this will eliminate any other devices. Also try this at different times of the day to see if there is a difference?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi muzzzzy,

I have seen the adverts, With Virgin Media, you can get what you want, when you want it. That’s because we use a totally different type of cable with DOCSIS® 3 tech and run it right to your house. It’s not just faster, it’s more reliable too. 

DOCSIS®1 was the first to be released in 1997, DOCSIS®2 was next released in 2001. DOCSIS3® came out in 2006.

The next bit of the advert says... If broadband could race... we’d win. You see, most other broadband providers use copper phone line to reach your home, which drops its speed over long distances. But with us, the combination of DOCSIS 3 tech and our unique insulated cable, with a thicker copper core, retains our ultrafast signal.

I don't know when your cable was installed but my installation was in 1995, cable TV and phone, it has never been upgraded. When I had Blueyonder broadband installed the engineer simply tapped into the existing TV cable with a splitter..... so there aint no DOCSIS at this house!

Unfortunately you have been given the dreaded 'Contention' script so you won't be winning any races during the evenings for the foreseeable future. You need to understand, this is NOT A FAULT. If you make a formal complaint, the Complaints Team will confirm this in writing. It is overutilization of the network causing high demand at peak times. The review date you have been given is likely to slip... many times.

You need to claim your loss of service credit for high utilisation using the reference number F004234789.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

Thanks you for your reply however i understood that running the router in modem mode disabled the other ports so i will now try this as suggested.

However i believe you do a 50mb 100mb and 150mb service so common sense suggests if you cannot achieve anywhere near 150mb at any time then i might as well be paying for the 50mb service and actually receive what i am paying for? Also how long has this issue been known or more to the point how long have i been paying for a service that was not actually possible. 

I feel another week or 2 of my life is going to be spent  trying to get this sorted talking to customer services.

Samantha_L wrote:

Hiya muzzzzy,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004234789 and with a review date of 14th December.

For better testing, you can complete speed tests direct to the Super Hub (leaving it in modem mode) as this will eliminate any other devices. Also try this at different times of the day to see if there is a difference?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ian-c wrote:

I don't know when your cable was installed but my installation was in 1995, cable TV and phone, it has never been upgraded. When I had Blueyonder broadband installed the engineer simply tapped into the existing TV cable with a splitter..... so there aint no DOCSIS at this house!

All Virgin customers are using DOCSIS, it's just a signal sent through a coaxial cable. It doesn't matter if the cable was installed last week or 20 years ago.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

muzzzzy wrote:

When Virgin advertised the upgrade to the vivid service it actually said fibre is connected right up to the property. Well the cable has never been changed so is still the original copper cable. Should this have been upgraded?

The fibre stops well before reaching your property, if you saw an advert claiming it's fibre all the way to your home then that was misleading and would have been worthy of a complaint to the ASA.

You should be able to reach 150Mb/s off-peak, as even in terribly oversubscribed areas it's usually possible to reach full speed for a few hours per day. If you're never reaching 150Mb, that suggests there's more to this problem than just peak time utilisation.

muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I am still getting very poor speeds has this reference number (F004234789) for review on the 14th December been superceded ( as have many others apparently). Why am i paying for 150mb if you can never actually achieve anywhere near these speeds. In truth i might as well have a sky 60mb service ????

A serious review of all my Virgin services is coming i think...............

0 Kudos
alalx
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm hitting 1mb-3mb speed between 12pm and 12am on the 50mb package, it's amazingly poor service. You have a similar fault code to me and many others which doesn't actually ever get fixed, they just keep pushing forward a "review" date which never results in anything happening. Definitely worth looking elsewhere.
I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015
0 Kudos