Menu
Bighughie
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Speed drops to 20 Mbps

I have had exactly the same problem,  or  I loose connection completely, and this has been happening since we were upgraded to the latest hub (3? i  think).

I've been pre-occupied with other matters recently but I cleared my hub logs a while ago on the advice of a forum messsge. I haven't looked a them since however

When it works it is great and I get  160 - 170 Meg /s - but  now that I think about it I cant recall the last day that I didn't have to re-set the router to get full speed  again at some point in the day.

Help, Please .........

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drops to 20 Mbps

Hello Bighughie,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the speed drops you're experiencing.

Are you using a wireless or a hard-wired connection? Do you notice if the speed alters at specific times of the day / night?

What devices are you using to test your speed?

Please get back to us so we can investigate further.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Bighughie
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

I've been away for a few weeks - but back for  a few days

I am predominantly using a hardwired connection - certainly when measuring network performance on my desktop PC, obviously the connection supports higher speeds than some wireless devices can manage.

I use a couple of speed tests- often www.speedtest.net but more recently a windows 10 app "network speed test" which is written by Microsoft.   I frequently use Task Manager/resource monitor and other low-level tools to investigate issues. I was a software and systems engineer for - oooh ages

We use our PC, laptops and tablets all day - and night

The only pattern I have noticed to the recent broadband problems seems to have been that it occurs whenever I've just got to the point of needing to up or download something large or important.  Previously, with the old hub, we would encounter problems at a regular time of the day, which would also coincide with a loss of TV signals.  Those issues seem to have been fixed but.....

Since receiving the new Hub it I am surprised if we get through the day without needing to re- set it. Probably  9 out of 10 times it immediately restores full speed - but it's not right- it takes a few minutes and is really inconvenient.

I have been away from home for the last 2-3 weeks but I'll monitor the situation again for a few days - I might look at and clear the log files to see if anything interesting starts happening.

At present, I am enjoying great throughput of approx 170 - 180 Mbps with 9 Meg upload. With only me here there are RELATIVELY few other devices communicating, (ethernet /wireless). -  I was surprised to see that we have over a dozen devices using my Super Hub 's Lan!

With only my wife and I in the house, there are RELATIVELY few other devices communicating, but there still are  2 Phones, 2 Ipads, Ipod, my wife's desktop, 2 Laptops, a printer, 2 smart TVs 2  NAS drives, and a Playstation - Ha Ha!

Help would be appreciated - Do you want me to do or check anything ??

Thanks

Hugh

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

Hope you're well!

I appreciate the detailed reply, it's very helpful. I think at this stage we need to take a look at the connection with a monitoring tool. Are you able to set up a BQM? This will pick up pack loss and network drops etc.

Have you picked up on anything interesting since your last post?

Talk soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos