Menu
JasonHarper
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Speed drops excruciatingly low every night

I have the same issue, in the day the speed is fine around 150mb down and 10mb up.

However in the evening it is difficult to get 20mb download and less than 1 mb up. I am paying for 150mb connection but now in the evening it's difficult to watch any catch-up tv without continual buffering. My son has an xbox but online gaming is impossible now.

It did not used to be like this as in the past it was really good and we never noticed any loss of service, this only seems to have been an issue over the last 2 month or so.

Please help - Jason.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drops excruciatingly low every night

Sounds strongly like over utilization. Guessing many neighbours around your area have been signed up to virgin recently and now the demand for services outstrips your areas supply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Jason

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with speed. Area traffic does pick up a bit in the afternoons but is below our threshold for escalation, the evening is not too bad at all. I wonder something else is causing it, the line and hub parameters are looking okay, it looks like you are in modem only mode. Are you measuring over wireless or wired. If you are not already please use wired with www.speedtest.net leaving the default server to see how that goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
JasonHarper
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola

Thanks for the reply, During the daytime i get really good speed, see scans of speed test taken last night and this morning.

In order to rule out external influences i have one ethernet cable directly connected between my PC and VM router (In Modem Mode). I spoke to VM last night, they did a few things and it seemed to improve things slightly to get a max of 9Mbps download, i will continue to carry out the same test again tonight to see if this has improved. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Image removed (Contains IP address), please review the Forum Guidelines]

Taken 29/12/16 at 10:34 - good connection.Taken 29/12/16 at 10:34 - good connection.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JasonHarper,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

How are you getting on since your last post? Have you noticed any improvements or is your connection still under performing?

Please get back to us if you need us to investigate further.

Thanks again for keeping in touch,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
JasonHarper
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather

Unfortunately i am still getting issues with low bandwidth during the evenings.

I carried out a speed test last night and again this morning, results shown below:-

8/1/17 - 19:268/1/17 - 19:26

8/1/17 - 19:548/1/17 - 19:54

9/1/17 - 07:489/1/17 - 07:48

All the above results are taken without changing any network or PC settings.

Regards

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JasonHarper,

Sorry to hear you're still getting poor speeds. I've checked your connection again and everything looks healthy, power levels and SNR are spot on and the contention in the area is nowhere near a level that would affect you. Were these tests taken in modem mode with just the PC connected again?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
JasonHarper
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Yes the speed tests were taken in modem mode with just the PC connected.

Do you have a log of the contention within the area over an evening period? 

It only slows over the evening so doing test now would not show any issues.

Can i try anything else?

Jason

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jason, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I hope you don't mind me picking this up. 

I have taken another look at your connection and everything looks to be fine from this side now, but looking at the historical data there was an issue with FECS around the time your originally posted. 

But the contention ratio in you area is fine during the evening. 

It may help to see a BQM to see if there are any other issues we may not be able to see from this side. 

Let us know how you are getting on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos