Menu
dawnspeed14
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Speed drops excruciatingly low every night

Every night my speed drops from around 40/50 Mbps to around 1/2 Mbps. I've rung multiple times and they say it's a fault in my area (but it's fine during the day) and walk me though rebooting my modem etc which never solves the problem. I know in all likelihood that I'm being throttled but I've not downloaded anything for a while and my usage has been about normal. Can anyone from VM advise on this please?

Thanks

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drops excruciatingly low every night

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area and will impact on everybody on your segment of the network regardless of how much you have downloaded. Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they will provide a fault reference number which you can quote to customer services to get money off your bill for the lack of service. They should also be able to provide a review date for the issue.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi dawnspeed14

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you're experiencing slow broadband speeds during the evenings.

From checking your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003500494 and with a review date of 27th April.

I've also sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some more information in regards to this fault.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam 

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
IAMYetti
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

i am having the exact same problem

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi IAMYetti,

Many thanks for taking the time to visit us here and posting your comment, welcome into the Community Smiley Happy

I'm very sorry to hear about the slow speeds at the home and especially in the evenings. I'd love to help but would need some additional information to access your account and run some preliminary checks. . 

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
mikeyp
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am having this problem too ever since I moved into a new house.

Every evening the speeds drop down to around 3 or 4 Mbs from 40 MBS in the day and even allowing for extra network traffic at peak times I find it hard to believe that the speed would drop that far.

Before the move I had no problems with the speed provided at any time and almost had no drop in speeds and most of the area I was in was on virgin media.

I must admit it has left me disappointed in the product that I am paying for and when I know that the usage I currently have is a far amount but not enough to be classed as a high user and thus traffic managed at peak times.

0 Kudos
mikeyp
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Internet speed test.PNG

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

mikeyp wrote:

I am having this problem too ever since I moved into a new house.

Every evening the speeds drop down to around 3 or 4 Mbs from 40 MBS in the day and even allowing for extra network traffic at peak times I find it hard to believe that the speed would drop that far.

Before the move I had no problems with the speed provided at any time and almost had no drop in speeds and most of the area I was in was on virgin media.

I must admit it has left me disappointed in the product that I am paying for and when I know that the usage I currently have is a far amount but not enough to be classed as a high user and thus traffic managed at peak times.

Hi mikeyp

You would be better off starting your own thread. Note that it takes Forum Staff 4-5 days to respond.

As said earlier, if your speeds are dropping every evening without fail to around 3 to 4 Mbps then it is classic over utilisation / contention on your part of the network. Believe me, It is not uncommon for speeds to drop even lower (see my sig) on evenings when everyone in your area happens to be online.

You are not being traffic managed. If it is confirmed that contention is your problem, it is simply down to the number of customers which will impact on everybody on your segment of the network regardless of how much you have downloaded.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
mikeyp
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply.

I think I will do that to see if I can get any response.

To be honest I didn't think I would be traffic managed but boy does the speed drop. Last night was an unusually good night for speed.

Seeing that you have been in contention over 2 years does not strike me as very encouraging about the outcome even if something is actually wrong beyond over subscription for the area.

Thank you once again

0 Kudos
andwat83
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

i have exactly the same issue. technician coming tomorrow

0 Kudos