Menu
Bighamsterboy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Speed drop in TN24 every night

I'm paying for the 200Mbps package and have been really happy with the speeds and quality of suppy, for more than 2 years. I have at least 16 devices connected to our family network and have never ever had any issues.

However, since the last month and a half, I've had users in my household complaining of speed issues. I put it down to Netflix and Xbox own servers being congested at peak times...etc until it became a regular pattern. From about 6 to late at night - 11pm or so.

I have not changed anything.

I disabled wifi and have only one Cat5 cable to my laptop and have run ookla to test and I am seeing very high ping rates - of 483 and 22Mbps down and .56Mbps up!

This is pathetic and the internet pretty much becomes useless for the 4 users in my family who are gaming and or streaming movies etc at the same time. Never had an issue before and I used to brag to my friends about the solid speeds I used to get with at least 16 devices happily connected.

The same test, at about 7:00am shows a ping rate of about 15ms and over 200Mbps down with 15Mbps up.

So Netflix is not really possible these days in the evenings. What's going on? Are we now over subscribed here in our post code or what?

Fix this please Virgin or I will have to look elsewhere. I'm not prepared to carry on paying £40 per month for a service we as a family can't enjoy anymore in the evenings.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drop in TN24 every night

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Bighamsterboy
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cheers mate. Ahh well - it was good while it lasted. I guess if something seems too good to be true - it usually is.

0 Kudos
Bighamsterboy
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Been on hold to VM support, got fed up..

I've just seen that BT Infinity is now available in my area and just tested my BT phone line. They guarantee me a minimum of 73Mbs for £49 per month. It's looking pretty attractive right now.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Bighamsterboy,

Thanks for getting in touch, hope you're well Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're getting.

I've just checked your connection and I can't see any raised area faults. Does your speed fluctuate? If so, what highs and lows are you getting? Does wireless and hard-wired results differ much?

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Bighamsterboy
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J

Per my original thread :

''I have at least 16 devices connected to our family network and have never ever had any issues.

However, since the last month and a half, I've had users in my household complaining of speed issues. I put it down to Netflix and Xbox own servers being congested at peak times...etc until it became a regular pattern. From about 6 to late at night - 11pm or so.

I have not changed anything.

I disabled wifi and have only one Cat5 cable to my laptop and have run ookla to test and I am seeing very high ping rates - of 483 and 22Mbps down and .56Mbps up!

This is pathetic and the internet pretty much becomes useless for the 4 users in my family who are gaming and or streaming movies etc at the same time. Never had an issue before and I used to brag to my friends about the solid speeds I used to get with at least 16 devices happily connected''

So I logged a support call and spent a LOT of time being put on hold and bounced around from the UK to South East asia, to various people with each hapless individual not having a clue as to why I was on hold. Each time someone answered, it might have become a fun guessing game to see which continent I would arrive at, if I wasn't so **bleep** off.

The first distant sounding, heavily accented engineer diagnosed the issue as being due to enforcement of Virgin's Traffic Management policy. I was then put through to some Scottish lady who sounded much closer, in sales, who then told me the only way to resolve the 'issues' was to upgrade to the Vivid Gamer package. I pointed out that this should not be necessary as the management policy mentions that enforcement is only subject to upload speeds and there are no restrictions on download speeds. 

She had no clue about what I was saying, kept repeating the fact that, that is what the engineer has told her and can only go according to what he's said. I was abruptly put on hold again and I was whisked away, back to a distant sounding place where another not so heavily accented man, but with a bit more of a 'clever Dick' attitude interupted me to tell me he had been listening to the previous call. To my relief, I thought that now sense might prevail....but sadly not. I questioned the policy and asked him to comment on it after I explained that it should not be the reason why my speeds are so abysmal.

Again - abruptly put on hold after it was explained to me that he would be consulting his management on the issue, I was whizzed back to the UK. Someone from the cancellations team, who was sorry to hear that I was thinking of leaving. I said no....but I am now sorely tempted. I relayed to him the whole sorry saga and that no one seems willing or able to explain your ridiculous contradiction of your Traffic Management Policy. He then mentioned he was going to put me on hold - I pleaded with him not to bounce me back to Bangalore.....'I know I am a pain in the **bleep** to everyone I have tried to speak to today, but please don't ditch me'. He promised he would walk over to the 'head of tech support' to get to the bottom of this issue.

Lo and behold, it was confirmed that the low speeds were due to enforcement of the Traffic Mangement Policy. I asked him to read the policy and then asked for comment. He conceded it appeared that I should not be subject to it. I demanded it be lifted - the only way to do this was to go to the Vivid Gamer package, which I refused. I was then told that as a 'loyal Virgin Subscriber', I could get a loyalty discount that would make it more or less the same price as what I am currently paying. I was angry and elated in equal measure.

So had it not been for my patience, YOU would have lost me to BT Infinity. Any other poor sod trying to navigate and deal with the numerous hoops I have had to jump through, would have reluctantly shelled out more cash for something they shouldn't have to....or lost the will to live.

With my new Hub 3, speeds are over 200Mbs down and 20Mbs up, day or night and that's wireless speeds (using my 3rd party Asus RT-AC87U router) in the furtherest corner of my Faraday - cage like Victorian era house, that's the best its ever been.

So - not happy I had to jump through so many hoops to get to this point, but speeds are smoking hot - for now.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos