Menu
sgt
Up to speed
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Speed drop every evening

In hemel Hempstead had  massive speed drops  of between 80% and 90% every night since August told will continue until at least approaching Christmas.

Any one else experiencing similar dreadful service.

0 Kudos
Petra35
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drop every evening

Same here area 21.

Been like it for over a week.

Fine one minute, then connection time out, photos won't load, Youtube videos won't play, even email won't load.

Have done several speed checks - the worst result (took a screenshot as people will never believe me!!) was tonight: 

1.45mbs download - 0.34mbs upload

my worst ping time was yesterday with a score of: 1475 ms !!

And it's not just peak times either - gave up last night and went to bed at 11:30pm, after trying to watch a youtube video which

stalled with the ''buffering'' circle (hadn't seen that for years!!) going round and round and round . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

noticed the video playback was on 144p !

What am I paying 80 quid a month for?

0 Kudos
sgt
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mine  seems  slightly  better  than that  but  paying  for  200 and  getting   on  average 19 after  7pm  isn't  remotely acceptable especially as  it's been going on for  over three  months!

0 Kudos
sgt
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just  received a  text saying the  issue  has  been fixed.Checked  speed and  getting 20% of what I am paying for.

Priceless!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi sgt,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are still having issues with the broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running stable.

Can you complete a speed test whilst the Hub is in modem mode to see if the speeds differ please?

Also when you get chance create a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the connection. If you do create a BQM, you will need to disable the firewall within the router for it to work.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
sgt
Up to speed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still  only  getting  10-20% of  Speed  every  evening.

I have  spoken to support  staff  already  who say  this is a  known  issue  that requires  a  fairly major  fix it  effects  an area  including over  250,000 people not  just  me!  It's  been waiting  since August to be  fixed  with fix  times   promised and  missed  routinely the  latest  guaranteed  fix time  is  next  week so  let's wait and  see.

0 Kudos
sgt
Up to speed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Incidentally I have no  idea  how  to do any  of the  things  you suggested for  most  of my  life  The  internet  was  confined  to science  fiction  programmes

0 Kudos
Proteus
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What is the problem then? Did they say exactly what is causing it?

I can't deal with it much longer, we already can't afford the internet we have and have been thinking of leaving. When the internet drops off like this every night it feels like I'm paying for thin air. 

0 Kudos
sgt
Up to speed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I understand  it  is a capacity issue  thousands  of new  customers and  no new  equipment. For  what  its worth switching to the  superhub 3 and  200mbs has  improved the  situation a bit as while there is a  huge  drop off  in speed in the  evening  it does  remain at usable levels

0 Kudos
sgt
Up to speed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The  fault  reference I was  provided was F003496565 this "fault" has  been ongoing since  before  March I suspect  the  true  issue  is  over  utilisation  of  available capacity  and  Virgin's  inability  to  provide the  service it  charges  for without  substantial  upgrade  which  it  evidently  isn't  prepared to do.

Despite  this   customers  who  note  the  issue  are told  to go through the  standard   checking   their  own equipment  nonsense  every  time it  never  helps  because the  fault  isn't  with the  end  user.

The  current  "fix  date" for this  fault  is  23/12/2016 however as  it  as least the fifth  "fix  date" provided  I think  we  can take  that with a  huge  bucket  full  of  salt.

0 Kudos