Menu
RoKe
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speed boost reduced from promised 70Mb down to to 50Mb? Bromley

When logging onto My Virgin Media a few weeks ago (Dec 2016) I was greeted by a message saying that a speed boost from my 50Mbps package to 70Mbps is on the way and should be expected January 2017. Now when I log on it says:

Your speed boost is complete!Your connection speed is now up to 50Mbps. We've upgraded your speed so you can enjoy more of what you love to do online.

Does that mean I will be stuck on 50Mbps, and wont be getting a boost to 70Mbps? I wouldn't mind but we've only been getting about 3-5Mbps in the evenings, meaning Netflix etc keeps dropping quality - I will explain more about that issue on a separate post!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed boost reduced from promised 70Mb down to to 50Mb? Bromley

Hi RoKe, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

Checking the account, as changes have been made since November 2015, you wouldn't be eligible for the upgrade any longer. You're now already on one of our boosted tiers. 

Checking in to why your speeds are decreased in the evenings, there is currently a fault at the address and we are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services there. Once the work is completed, any issues with slow speeds will be resolved.

The fault reference for this is: F004252742

We are looking to carry the work out as soon as possible and the next review date for this fault is 5th April 2017.

We understand this is not the best news however I've flagged this up to our Moderation team. They will be in contact with you in a few days to discuss what will happen next Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RoKe
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

Thank you for replying, but I'm afraid I find your response unacceptable. It raises more questions than it answers.

We have been trying to use iPlayer this evening and it is unwatchable. It is buffering for +10 seconds about 2-3 times per minute. We are getting around 1.8-2.0mbps this evening (Sunday 22nd January). We can't wait until April for Virgin to try and fix this fault!

What's even more frustrating is that a quick search for the fault code you provided appears to reveal that Virgin have been aware of this fault since January last year, 12 months ago, and have been telling other customers to wait a few months for a fix. Even with this knowledge, your colleague still sold me a 12 month contract 3 weeks ago without mentioning you have an ongoing fault affecting the Bromley area, which judging by our internet speeds appears to be getting worse.

What is the exact nature of the fault? Is it a genuine issue with your network hardware, or is it simply your network struggling to cope with traffic during peak times as your customer base grows?
What exactly are Virgin Media doing to fix the problem?
Why can't the problem be fixed until April?

If you can't fix the problem within the two weeks, what options do I have? I either need a resolution or a different ISP... I'm not happy to continue paying for a service which is not being provided, and I want an internet service that works when I need it to.

I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if you want a network upgrade doing in 2 weeks you will be looking for a new ISP.
The problem is over utilization that needs upgrades to increase capacity. Not something that can be fixed in a few weeks
0 Kudos
RoKe
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do you think all ISPs have the same issue, or is VM especially slow/oversubscribed?
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

RoKe wrote:
Do you think all ISPs have the same issue, or is VM especially slow/oversubscribed?

The BT based ISPs (BT, Sky, TalkTalk, PlusNet etc) use different technology and are much less likely to suffer over-subscription, mainly because once a cabinet has reached capacity they stop selling. The downside is they are affected by the distance between you and the street cabinet, but they will provide a guaranteed minimum speed before you sign up (unlike Virgin) so you know what to expect. 

Virgin Media's utilisation issues famously last for long periods of time. In my area a fault lasted for 23 months before it was fixed in December, then a new one was opened just after Christmas, but that's another story.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos