Menu
harry438
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speed Loss since reaching 12 month anniversary

I will keep this brief. If my internet speed is not greatly improved from around 25mbs to what was promised (200mbs) then I will be returning to Sky at the end of my contract in 6 months time, no ifs or buts.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speed Loss since reaching 12 month anniversary

Couldn't agree more harry438. Virgin Media have a very strange idea about what customer service means. Despite being customers paying for a service, VM believe that we should be running around after them, chasing our tails to the drip fed cut and paste responses on this forum, meaning that it can take weeks to even begin finding out what the problem actually is. Even then there's a complete lack of transparency about what the fault really is, what they're doing about it and what they actually did when it's "fixed".

I think we're all pretty much sick and tired of being told to turn the router on and off; plug in ethernet cables; run speed speed tests; run in safe mode; turn off modem mode; it's not a fix date, it's a review date; it's a third party's fault because of [insert excuse here ... e.g. planning permission/digging up roads etc] ... 

Come on VM, it's time to stop making excuses and to start finding solutions to the problems.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't want to point out what could be the obvious, but where are you testing the speeds? Speedtest etc or steam/direct downloads?

It may not be a coincidence that you are seeing 25MBs (which is 200Mbs - size of the b matters)

EDIT: looking at your previous posts you test wirelessly on a phone? But you have got 200Mbs on there before so should know the difference. Was just checking Smiley Tongue

However if you are still testing wirelessly, no ISP will guarantee wireless speeds as that involves factors outside their control. You pay for (up to) 200Mbs to be delivered to your hub, how you then choose to utilize it from your hub to your devices in your home is no ISPs issue, they can help with wired speeds as they can control the variables for the most part but for wireless they can't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi harry438, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your issues with broadband speeds being slow. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, how are you connected wired or wireless?

Have you tried a speed test with your Hub in modem mode connected directly via ethernet cable to the computer in safe mode with networking to see if that helps?

When do you notice the slow speeds, all times of day or just specific ones?

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
harry438
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Adam

Firstly please be aware that I am not going to fall into the trap of getting into a long exchange of e-mails regarding my speed. I have read a lot of the complaints in here going on for months and months and a blind man can see that you just cannot provide the service that I am paying for. I have tried your suggestions. It is not for me to try this and that to improve the speed that is your responsibility and to be blunt that is what I pay you for. This will be my final response to my complaint other than if you wish to arrange for an engineer to visit my home. I spent 16 years with Sky and only moved on your promise of speeds of around 200mbs, you get nowhere near that

JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Couldn't agree more harry438. Virgin Media have a very strange idea about what customer service means. Despite being customers paying for a service, VM believe that we should be running around after them, chasing our tails to the drip fed cut and paste responses on this forum, meaning that it can take weeks to even begin finding out what the problem actually is. Even then there's a complete lack of transparency about what the fault really is, what they're doing about it and what they actually did when it's "fixed".

I think we're all pretty much sick and tired of being told to turn the router on and off; plug in ethernet cables; run speed speed tests; run in safe mode; turn off modem mode; it's not a fix date, it's a review date; it's a third party's fault because of [insert excuse here ... e.g. planning permission/digging up roads etc] ... 

Come on VM, it's time to stop making excuses and to start finding solutions to the problems.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you don't get full speed at off peak times, it suggests that it's not a Over Utilisation problem (As with most of the people on here.). If it runs ok off peak, then drops, that's when you've got to worry.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't want to point out what could be the obvious, but where are you testing the speeds? Speedtest etc or steam/direct downloads?

It may not be a coincidence that you are seeing 25MBs (which is 200Mbs - size of the b matters)

EDIT: looking at your previous posts you test wirelessly on a phone? But you have got 200Mbs on there before so should know the difference. Was just checking Smiley Tongue

However if you are still testing wirelessly, no ISP will guarantee wireless speeds as that involves factors outside their control. You pay for (up to) 200Mbs to be delivered to your hub, how you then choose to utilize it from your hub to your devices in your home is no ISPs issue, they can help with wired speeds as they can control the variables for the most part but for wireless they can't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
harry438
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya

I get around 180mbs off peak and around 15-18mbs off peak, that is not acceptable to me. As I said I ain't getting into a conversation with VM I have given them the opportunity to fix the issue and if it ain't corrected by the time my contract is up in a few months time then it's adios VM 👋👋👋 That's it I am afraid.
0 Kudos