Menu
magicmike110
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Speed Issues WA3

Hi,

I'm experiencing very slow speeds during the evening where it makes it impossible to use Netflix / Amazon prime due to buffering. Its averaging around 5mbps on a 100mbs line!!

There is talk of a speed boost in the area due at the end of April from 100mbs (sorry 5) to 150mbs (hopefully expect 10mbs :-) can't wait!!), Although from reading lots of other posts on here about the speed increase, I'm beginning to think its a marketing ploy to attract new customers (Which will slow the networks down even more) and all the scheduled work in the background which keeps getting re-scheduled is it actually happening?

I had an e-mail from virgin media regarding the changes to this forum the other day, did the forum need changing and I was wondering why don't you invest the money in fixing the speed issues and all the other issues your existing customer have instead of fixing things that aren't broke...?

In a nutshell I just want to be able to use the services I pay for (netfilx / amazon) on my internet connection, I totally understand you quote up to 100mbs but when I'm receiving less that 10% of that it just isn't acceptable.

Your website quotes "Why do you say 'up to' about speeds" to which the response is "With Virgin Media, you'll get much closer to the broadband speed you pay for." If this is true, can you please either charge me for the speed I am getting and not the 100mbs or provide me with 100mbs or closer to.

Thanks

Mr Johnson

Parki79
Rising star
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Issues WA3

I have the same issues as yourself in WA3 and have had it confirmed as Over Utilisation in my area. Most of Golborne has this same problem.

My fault reference has been open for a year and has a review date to resolve of 06/04/2016. All what this means is when the date comes they put a new review date up and so on.

Unlikely for you to have any improvement anytime soon if its over utilization as it takes years. They will offer you a slight reduction in your bill for what you have to put up with.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi magicmike110

Thanks for posting back on the community.

I am sorry to read that you're experiencing slow broadband speeds during the evenings.

From checking your connection there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003325051 and with a review date of 6th April.

I've also sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some more information in regards to this issue.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
skipper2000
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I live in Lowton (WA3) and I've had exactly the same issue since Sept 2014 (yes that's right 2014). They keep promising a fix date, which has moved out at least 6 times.

I was told that it should be sorted by  April the 6th, then this moved into May and as of yesterday has now moved into August 2016.

The bloke I spoke to yesterday gave me the usual Virgin Media script - very sorry, it works well at other parts of the day etc etc. was unable to give any details at all on whats being done to improve the situation.

Einstein said something along the lines "only an idiot does the same thing again and again and expects different results" so I have therefore reached the conclusion that they have no intention of fixing this until customers start to vote with their feet -  after many years (15+) of being a loyal customer I'm quitting Virgin Media. Very poor customer service and a highly dubious business practice of continuing to recruit customers to old infrastructure which can no longer cope. I will go out of my way to make sure friends and family don't make the mistake of signing up to Virgin, particularly in the Wigan/Warrington area.

Don't be taken in by their fix dates, they are fantasy - quit, if you can 

magicmike110
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Anyone with the issues can exit their contract at any time as they are not providing the service that you signed up to!

I am on the verge of moving to a connection delivered down a BT line as the results round here seem to be far better than virgin media at peak times. I was getting 3mb/s last night at around 7pm which is like going back to dial up with how long websites take to load up and as for streaming well there is no chance!

In relation to the dates, I've seen it time and time again on this forum about the dates being put back and back for years! I don't understand why they don't just be straight with their customers and say the network is just over its capacity and we don't expect to upgrade it till 20 never!

I don't suspect the august review date will be any different than the last review dates over the past year!

Parki79
Rising star
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Us Golborners and Lowtoners have no chance.

Just got to keep telling people to do speed tests and get their complaints in. The more people we can convince to do this the more likely they are to fix. This company only cares about profits so that is the only way.  VirginMedia then Liberty just run their business on a profits first approach and having happy customers doesn't suit their needs.

It kind of highlights this that there has never been an announcement about investment in troubled areas from Management or anything other than the scripted answers each time they miss a review date.

0 Kudos
leonard8
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Reading this just made my mind up to quit Virgin, been ringing up since last December moaning about slow speeds at peak times, most nights its 1mb from 8-11pm. Just booked fibre broadband with Talk Talk they guarantee 20mb which will only be £26 a month for 18 month. Goodbye and good riddance Virgin.

Parki79
Rising star
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah these lot are a lost cause, complete rubbish and pretty much unusable at peak times. Good luck with a proper broadband provider I am sure it will be a huge improvement.

0 Kudos
leonard8
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Meant to add we are in WN2 area Hindley Green, rang up Virgin numerous times about the service being too slow to use at peak times. Been given fix dates that keep moving, when I rang yesterday was told it will be definitely done by 21st September. Then when I saw this thread just decided enough is enough and there is no way it will be done by September.

0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To be honest it is hard to believe a word these people say.

0 Kudos