Menu
McNutty82
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Speed Fluctuations

Hi have been having internet problems for some months now but it's not been to bad till of late when it's been unbearable have run lots of speed tests throughout the day as have been getting major amounts of lagging during online gaming. To my shock horror the first speed test showed up as 7mbs per second i am supposed to be on a speed of 60mbps it reckons there are no problems in the area but my speeds are dropping really low and the high and low again all constantly over a matter of minutes and it's crazy why isn't this happening how can it be fixed want it sorted.IMG_3709.PNGIMG_3710.PNG

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Image removed (Contains IP address), please review the Forum Guidelines]IMG_3723.PNG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Fluctuations

What do you get with a test on http://www.speedtest.net/ to a local VM server?  VM prefer speed tests from speedtest.net.

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there McNutty82,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004894052 and has a review date of 29th March.

As Scott mentioned, are you able to complete speed test on speedtest.net via a wired connection to see if there is a difference?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
McNutty82
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha this is what current speed i am getting and it's quite ridiculous for what i pay each month and considering i have been upgraded to Vivid 150mb fibre optic broadband that the speeds dip this low I haven't been able to play games online as it just disconnects me or kicks me out. Can you please tell me what's going on as am tempted to leave virgin altogether and go elsewhere if i am paying for 150mb or speeds of up to it should be in and around those speeds not anything as low as this. IMG_0160.PNGIMG_0161.PNGIMG_0162.PNGIMG_0164.PNGIMG_0165.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Morning McNutty82,

Hope all is well. Thanks for posting back here.

I've taken a look at the traffic fault F004894052 and this is still ongoing with our engineers improving bandwidth with a review date of 28th June. 

To discuss this further, I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos