Menu
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speed Dropping

Hi All,

I am having to some here as Virgin support is horrendous and was wondering if an area fault could be investigated as all support do it go through processes I know are not the problem. I have told them my broadband speed is intermittently dropping but I am just going round in circles turning the router on and off. By the end of the call my 200mb broadband was still at 90mb but the "support" agent said "leave it for a while and it will be back to 200mb". That's not good enough! no follow up call no fault reference just fobbed off. I have been a customer for 13 years and the support just gets worse. Has anyone else in the Stockport area had an issue with drops in signal strength? I need to start looking for other suppliers soon with decent support.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Dropping

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

If wired off peak speeds are slow then some hub stats might help.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take up 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

2017-01-13 (1).png2017-01-13.png

0 Kudos
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I get you but its intermittent so its causing on-line gaming to drop and streaming has to buffer it never used to. TV was unwatchable last night online it kept stopping (online TV not TIVO thats fine)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Power levels posted are within the recommended range, although some of the downstream channels are quite high and they wouldn't have to climb much higher for it to cause problems.  I have rejected one of your images to protect your privacy as it contained your WAN IP and didn't contain any useful info anyway.  Can you post the network log?

Also answering the questions I posed could go a long way to helping diagnose the issue, as "I get you but its intermittent" doesn't really help narrow things down.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Nickoey
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband down untill 3 I hope this is a indication the issue is being dealt with. Ill let you know.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nickoey,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I'd like to check this out for you but I can't seem to find your account. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can grab some details from you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos