Menu
cloverleaf146
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speed Boost Stitch Up

Having had a quick scan of some previous posts, it appears that I am far from alone in being striped up by VM over their "promised" speedboost from 50-70Mbs.

Yes, I inadvertently fell victim to the "contract change" scam. Back in May 16 I called VM to request if it was possible to remove my telephone landline from my package, purely because I never use my landline now so it seemed daft to keep paying for it. The "helpful" gentleman I spoke to advised that they couldn't delete my landline, but they could reduce my package cost by £12 per month or so by putting me onto a years contract. Nothing would change, 50Mbs plus landline, just cheaper. So what's not to like ? Of course I signed up.

In October, I randomly checked VMs website as i recalled something about a free speedboost to 70Mbs, and the site advised that undeed this boost was available to me.

You will know what's coming next - because I had implemented a "new" package in May, I was now ineligible for the boost. I made a formal complaint to VM via the CEO, on the basis that 1) my actual package had not changed in respect of the service I received, 2) When I called them in May, at no point did they warn me that signing up would render me ineligible for the speed boost, so I was not given the opportunity to make an informed decision.

VM's response was "tough, them's the rules" (paraphrasing).

I then took my complaint to CISAS. Complete was of time. The decision was made by some snotty barrister, who advised that as the customer, the onus was on me to prove that I was not in a contract prior to May 16, and also that I needed to prove that my new contract did not give me the benefits of VMs new technology ! **bleep** ?

She totally went along with the VM line that my discount given in May was in fact equivalent to receiving a speed boost. Even though the speed boost would have been permanent, and my discount was for a year only. And even though I was not given the choice, or made aware by VM that signing the contract would negate the speed boost.

In summary, I would therefore discourage anyone from using CISAS, in my experience, they are far from independent or impartial. VM meanwhile are a bunch of crooks, who treat their loyal customers (15 years +) with utter contempt.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed Boost Stitch Up

CISAS are good when it comes to over utilizattion etc.

When it's been said many a time that changing contract removes ineligibility for the upgrade (heck I lost mine as well from moving package for a better deal), nievity doesn't end up cutting it.

CISAS stuck up for VM here as it's been clearly said any contract changes from 24th November 2015 will put you on the new tiers and not eligible for the boost.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As an alternative you could use the money saved to upgrade to 100/6 (like I did), and get a better package altogether and still save money.

Would you rather have 70/5 and pay the extra £12 a month, or get 100/6 and still be saving about £8 a month over what you were paying previous to may?

0 Kudos
cloverleaf146
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's hardly the point. VM have treated customers appallingly over this, and they know it. I work in the financial services arena, which although far from perfect, does have an obligation to treat customers fairly. This is clearly not an ethos that VM subscribe to.

I would also not agree that I am a victim of "naivety" . If VM do not provide you with the information to make an informed decision, then it is a clear stitch up.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The information is provided if you look up the speed boost. That's where the 24th November 2015 date for not making any contract changes from comes from.

0 Kudos
cloverleaf146
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Except that the "information" mentions a package "change". I don't consider a continuation of exactly the same service to be a "new" package. It's a blatant stitch up by VM, and they should be ashamed of themselves. But they actually don't give a stuff.

I'm taking this issue to the consumer press, to hopefully generate a bit of publicity.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The speed re-tiers for EXISTING customers only are:

L broadband -20Mb/30Mb/50Mb to 70Mb
XL broadband- 100Mb to 150Mb
XXL broadband- 152Mb to 200Mb
The speed re-tiers for any new customers joining since October 1st or any existing customers accepting a NEW agreement with us after November 24th (via Relations or Customer Services) are:

L broadband -50Mb
XL broadband -100Mb
XXL broadband- 200Mb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You accepted a new agreement.

You can try and generate publicity, but it will only highlight your failure to read the necessary information.

0 Kudos
cloverleaf146
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps. Or perhaps it will highlight VM's reliance on small print and misleading language. Such as claiming that I have had a package change from 50Mbs to 50Mbs.

Or CISAS's insistence that I needed to prove that I did not benefit from VM's "new technology" on my "new" package. 

I think that some people interested in unfair contracts may wish to take a closer look. Regardless of your view, the fact that there a numerous threads on this forum posted by customers who were unwitting victims of the same stitch up, rather belies your insinuation that I have been a bit thick.

Thanks for the permission to go public by the way.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Every company uses small print. This has been posted in multiple places.

Are you really suggesting that reading contracts etc is pointless? Do you know what you are signing up for with anything?

You accepted a new 'agreement' that is the terms shown. You agreed to something new.

Why did you need my permission to go public? I don't work for VM lol.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya, where did you get that information from?
0 Kudos