Menu
kato900
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So, when is VM going to address the clear issue of over subscription and utilisation?

Every day I look at the forums, I see more and more people suffering from over utilisation... When will they even make a statement? I wanna see them admit there is a massive issue, and yes, there is a reason why 98% of ISP's in the UK only offer 75mbs download speed, and not over 200, and that's because they cannot handle it. But good ole' VM think it's great business to sell internet speeds they cannot even remotely handle. On the rare occasion I look on Facebook, I see people selling packages for VM? Like some pyramid scheme crap! What is that about? 

I have had to deal with my **bleep**ty congested internet for over a year now, I've had VM staff tell me it's my pc, tell me it's my ethernet cable, send me a new modem, say unless I have over 20% packet loss at the time of them testing my internet when I call, there is nothing they can do... All of it, for them to finally say "Yup, your cabinet is overloaded, so we are gonna throttle your download, and also every night, at 5pm until 12am, every day, you will get a ton of packet loss, and your download speed will be about 3mbs, instead of 160mbs".

It blows my mind this hasn't blow up sooner... Do people not care? Or do they not notice they have useless internet.. I really wish I knew how to pressure VM into actually fixing it. Mine is supposed to be fixed on the 15th, that's the third date they have told me, and it's probably just a review date, even though they stated clearly it's a fix... I don't know what I will do. I need solid internet, and no other isp can offer me higher than 30mbps it seems, and I'm pretty sure it won't be enough, and I don't wanna get stuck in a contract for internet that isn't any better... Although, pretty sure any internet is better than not being able to use my net when the only time I can really use it I have this **bleep**

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/0d634970a3cd2de0836b01d44d0334f9-12-02-2017.html

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: So, when is VM going to address the clear issue of over subscription and utilisation?

The other major ISPs (BT/Sky etc) only offer 76Mbps because at the moment that's all Openreach offer to them. They'd go higher if they could (and probably will this year).

Virgin's utilisation problems may seem rife from looking at this forum but it's actually quite a small percentage of cutsomers affected (and I say that as someone who has had utilisation problems since day one) That's why there's never much interest from Ofcom and other regulators. Most customers get acceptable speeds.

The customer service rep who told you they throttle speeds in the evening was talking rubbish (never believe anything they tell you over the phone). Speeds fall simply because there isn't enough bandwidth to meet demand at peak time; just like water pressure would fall if everyone turned their taps on at the same time and the supply pipe wasn't big enough.
0 Kudos
kato900
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: So, when is VM going to address the clear issue of over subscription and utilisation?

It was actually an engineer, he said something in our cabinet got messed up, I forgot what it was... Tranformer? Or something? But yeah, it got messed up and because I was downloading so much that day, they had to throttle me. But it never lasted for that day, any time I torrent something, and download at like 18mbps I get throttled.... I can see it clearly on my bqm graph

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

something in your cabinet....OK?

What are you downloading, as Ive never been throttled myself.

These ..installers, not engineers sometimes have minimal training and carry on....dont be so easy to absorb info

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There should be no traffic management for downloads anymore, only uploads...

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html

" We've got great news for all customers on our broadband tiers of 30Mbps and above. After listening to your feedback, we've decided to stop applying our traffic management policy to download speeds. So now you can download as much as you like without worrying about traffic management slowing you down.

Our new policy is simple:

• We only restrict upload speed
  • Your speed is only reduced while the upload threshold is exceeded. So the speed reduction could only last as little as an hour as long as you reduce your uploads"
0 Kudos
kato900
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Meh, still get packet loss and unusable speeds all day. 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/cd44fb8f51867e5f1991348084bceec3.html

0 Kudos