Menu
Brookss1312
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So much for Gaming Broadband!

So I've been a virgin media customer for around 3 weeks and having purchased the Vivid 200 Gamer package I expected amazing things.

So through the day the speeds are fantastic, 190mbps down and around 22mbps up which is great, until the evening comes around and I get around 8mbps down and around 10mpbs up (and 100ms ping) which isn't exactly what I'm paying £50 a month for. I have been told it's a "cabling" issue by one team member and over capacity by another and the supposed fix date has been moved now to January (it was previously the 9th of November).

As I am not outside of my cooling off period to cancel I am essentially locked into a contract for 18 months with useless broadband and if I wish to exit it is £240! I think this is disgusting, surely if it is an over capacity issue I shouldn't have even been taken on as a customer?

I'm still waiting for a team leader to call me back (it has been 3 days now) to hopefully resolve but besides dropping me down to a lower speed package so I pay less overall there seems to be nothing they can do.

Surely this breaches some sort of false advertising because it's meant to be GAMING broadband with lower pings and faster uploads. It doesn't make sense. I could get the same broadband for less than £10 a month if I wanted 8mbps broadband.

Is anyone having the same issues and if so have you managed to get it resolved as I'm contemplating just cancelling my direct debit and taking them to court.

Apologies for the rant but I've had the worst experience I've ever had with any broadband supplier and I don't know how to resolve it.

Thanks for reading Smiley Happy

Steve

0 Kudos
maafty
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: So much for Gaming Broadband!

had this issue of peak time usage for over 2 years, every time it gets to the fix date another 3 months added. according to VM its perfectly acceptable to charge you for a 200mbps package and only let you have 2mbps! unless i use the internet at 4am its completely useless.

even though you are out of a cooling off period im pretty sure you are well within your legal right as a customer to cancel the contact due to improper sale of a product. getting less than 10% of a product is not atall acceptable. If my peak time issue isnt sorted by the new year i will be terminating my contract and if needed i will take VM to court, cant see how they will win since they are charging me £50/month for 2mbps when it should be 200! - i have kept every web chat as evidence that they simply dont care and insist that having only 2mbps is perfectly fine. i also have a speed test running every 4 hours and have the past 2 years worth of data.

maafty
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to add - they did carry out some "maintenance" in my area yesterday and since then its even worse!

the really funny part is new customers on the same road as me have perfect working internet at 200mbps even at peak times, so it is very clear that there is no loyalty at all, new customers get a perfect working shiny connection while people such as me who have been a customer for nearly 10 years have to pay more each year and get a diabolical service. i dont understand after 2 years of me complaining why they cant switch my connection to the same one as the new customers in my area.

0 Kudos
Brookss1312
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Seems like exactly the issue I've got, only I am a new customer, never been with Virgin before and they haven't impressed me one bit. So if it makes you feel any better, they seem to treat new customers the same as old customers, and the advertising just seems to rub peoples face in it.

Smogger
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Get out while you can......you can get out of your contract if they are not providing the service you are paying for or expecting.

Read all the posts in this place, hundreds and hundreds of customers experiencing the same thing.

Slow speed, report it to customer services, get fed tripe  by customer services, promised fixed dates come and go.  Fixes apparently done only for them to open a new ticket because they didnt resolve it.  The cycle goes on and on and on.

18 months for me, 2 yrs for many. Same problem that never goes away whlst VM continually rob you of your money while they con more and more people into buying 200mb broadband making the issue worse.

0 Kudos
Brookss1312
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm really trying but I'm determined not to give them £240 cancellation fee. It's disgusting that they can sell a service they can't provide.