Menu
pete436
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Virgin really are taking the P now......averaging 3mbs or less for the last 4 months due to utilisation problems....in other words take more customers than the system can handle then keep quiet in the hope the customers couldn`t be bothered trying to get some sense out of customer services....Sound familiar ???  was told in Oct 2016 it would be sorted Nov 2016

was told in Nov 2016 it would be sorted Dec 2016

was told in Dec 2016 it would be sorted Jan 2017

was told in Jan 2017 it would be sorted March 2017    **bleep**???

had a look at sky last year but when they could only offer 17mbs I figured I would stay with Virgin.... oh how wrong could I have been?  I would kill for half of that now but it would not be so bad if Virgin actually told the truth....they knew last year they had problems with capacity but I bet it would be interesting to find out how many more customers they have taken in spite of not being able to provide the service they are getting paid for.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: So Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

".in other words take more customers than the system can handle" How would you work out how many users the system can handle?

People always moan without understanding now networks work so i'd like to hear how you'd plan this. It would help me in network planning for my next centre i set up this year as clearly i'm going it wrong as well
0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
".in other words take more customers than the system can handle" How would you work out how many users the system can handle?

People always moan without understanding now networks work so i'd like to hear how you'd plan this. It would help me in network planning for my next centre i set up this year as clearly i'm going it wrong as well

Now bear with me on this one as reading your post you know a thing or two about networks..  But as you do you next data centre you dont know how many customers are going to uptake the product in question.  Virgin have a good idea on how many customers they have on the books in an area and how many cabled homes that could potentially take said service.  Where i live the there has been pretty much no expansion to the cable network in a good few years..  so my thinking is would virgin have not done a bit of number crunching before upgrading everyone to 100Mbps,200Mbps etc.. Like what if X number of customers take up service would the network take it am sure they have bods working out how many homes are cabled vs total number of subscribers and so on? your thoughts..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My thoughts on this are that when it gets to a point of maybe 90% for more then 20% of the time the network needs upgrading.

here is my logic.
I have a 1gbps connection to my server at work.
all 30 computers have 1gbps network cards so if one at a time accesses the server they get 1gbps.
If they all want the top speed the network switch and more importently the server would been 3Tbps and that will never happen.

I network is a fine system you can have 100mbps and have 1000 users on it. There is no such thing as over subscribe as the usage of them users might be checking email once a hour one at a time. The problem comes with something you can not plan for. You can't plan for the unknown and in networking the unknown is will people use the connection to download a game fast now and again or use the top speed all the time.

If you plan the network for the people using all the speed then the network has to have 1:1 contention and not only is that more then people will be willing to pay its also not possible with any networking gear to date.

if you plan for low losts and set contention at a level you can keep the business going then some area are going to fall into that over utilised area.

I do hate the term oversubscribed as it has no meaning in networking, You can't put to many clients on a network. The clients can use to much traffic.

Vm can add 10,000 users on a 200mbps connection and if they only check email once a day at different times the network is fine. if they put 2 people on 200mbps and they both torrent 24/7 the only 2 users get 50% of the speed 100mbps each.

Long post so sorry but as bad as VM are at upgrades and communication i wish people would remember that a network is never over utilized until users make it that way. its not a set number they can know.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You make fair points but Virgin take it a step further when they know there are major issues but still continue to sell it to people fraudulently.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

when there is a fault raised they shouldn't add more people. sad thing though is have you ever attempted to upgrade a network that has high usage. I have and unless youhave unlimited money and resources to use its really hard.

What if....
1) you have 1000mbps servicing 100 people all on 100mbps. Contention is 10:1
2) the network usage is 100% that is all you can see as you can;t see now much over 100% is
3) you upgrade the network and double its capacity to 2000mbps and now have 5:1 contention
4) after the upgrades to double the network that takes 6 months you review the upgrades. usage is still at 100%
5) you upgrade again and double again to 4000mbps contention is now 2.5:1

*each upgrade costs £100,000 in new hardware, Man hours, because new cables have to be placed needing planning permission.
you have now spent £200,000 on an area that may be making you.
And that usage can be from 10 users torrenting 24/7. Sometimes traffic mangement seems like the best idea to protect the fair users
0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

intresting points made and thanks for explanation..

Its does beg the question now about offering these speed increases over recent years, if you give someone such a big connection some are going to hammer so traffic management seems like a fair thing to do. Virgin made a big deal about dropping there management surely must of realised what could happen..
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

for the record i'm against the network problems. But i think people assume ISP have a magic switch. I know people at work thing i have one lol.

People want to much speed for such a low price its going to happen. All ISP get it not just VM. other providers might not as bad as most are still limited to 80mbps. If VM offered 80 to everyone max sure things would improve.
0 Kudos
earlofmonkey
Just joined
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I thought I was on crazy pills. Makes me feel better that this is an issue for other Virgin customers. More fool me for going with Virgin initially as they are the only one that does 'superfast broadband' to your door. It was why I had resisted changing to a provider that offered a slower 'up to' speed.

600 days later and after continued broken promises of it being fixed over that time, I am getting speeds of 1.5-2.5 Mb. On the last occasion I was promised a fix it was December 2016, I have no been told it won't be before May 2017. This is a continually broken promise that will have gone on for over two years by May.

I have complained each times (which you must do as you will get approx 30% off your bill for each day there is an issue). However, I am now at the point of leaving but before I go, I would like to find out how many other customers have this issue. They are likely ripping off hundreds of thousands of customers and charging them for a service they know they can't provide in those areas. The combined income from these customers will go into the £millions. 

The latest insult was logging in to complain on my account and seeing the message from Usain Bolt that my broadband speed had been improved... I was clocking 2.5 Mb at the time.

0 Kudos
pete436
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To be fair I do realise that it is difficult to resolve, however what I object to is being lied to over and over again telling me the problem would be sorted month on month instead of just telling the truth.....yet they still advertise based on having the fastest speeds....am surprised trading standards have not got involved.

0 Kudos