Menu
salamat
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sneaking in throttling based on downloads? (SuperFibre50)

During the last three evenings, my download speeds have dropped to 3Mbps or less, for several hours!

The Service Status reports no faults in my area, but when contacting the Customer Services I was told that there was some issue that could take until, firstly 14th November, then later told DECEMBER, to be fixed!

Today I got this on Facebook:  "It sounds like we've identified an issue in your area relating to high usage causing slower than expected speeds, usually at peak times. Unfortunately these things can take a while to resolve as there's a lot of planning involved and we may need to gain permission to carry out the work."

As this just seems to have started three days ago, I find it hard to believe that someone has just moved into the area and is using the service so much, it has caused a fault! It's also strange that it only appears to happen for a few hours in the evening!

The SuperFibre50 does have some sort of throttling, but this is based on high uploads. "If you're on our 30Mbps or above unlimited services, excluding VIVID 200 Gamer, HomeWorks + up to 300Mbps or VIVID 300, you will only ever be traffic managed if you’ve been uploading a very large amount of data during peak times, and reached the limit set for your broadband tier." I accept I am quite a heavy downloader, but upload limits certainly wouldn't apply to me.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

I am getting very suspicious that they are sneaking in throttling, based on downloads. Any thoughts?

2016-10-05 22_08_59-Service Status Results - My Virgin Media - Internet Explorer.png

0 Kudos
salamat
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sneaking in throttling based on downloads? (SuperFibre50)

Evening throttling?Evening throttling?

0 Kudos
salamat
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sneaking in throttling based on downloads? (SuperFibre50)

Have been doing further searching and it looks like this is a similar case to F003050088, which appears to have taken about 1 1/2 years to get fixed!

Ludicrous! And, they have the nerve to put up their prices about twice a year and say how wonderfully they're doing!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The fault numbers are unique to the local line you would be on so that fault reference may not be effecting you (a similar problem may be effecting you).

VM do not throttle downloads, HOWEVER, they tend to fall fowl of high demand in peak times which does cause slow downs of speed but this is more hardware limitations up the line rather than VM actively cutting people's speeds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
salamat
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I do my own fault reference: F003443743 and having read through many posts, it does seem to be the same issue.

I still fail to understand why Virgin Media fail to record the fault on their 'Service Status', to let their customers know that there may be an issue in the area when they check it!

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My guess is they don't want all the people in the areas that is suffering peak time over ultilisation to know about it, think off all the credits they will need to give.

They will just work on the theory not everyone will notice the terrible speeds and the ones that do are in the minority so just give them a credit and a date in the not to distant future to keep you hanging on..

Am sure they will say that the service page is postcode related and people in the same postcode might not be effected by the fault, but they seem to work out pretty fast that you are in an over utilisation area when you phone up and they give you the magic 'fix' date..

0 Kudos
salamat
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I suspect you're right about not wanting to publicize the issue. I think a little investigation into the size of this problem is called for.......

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The size of the problem is actually relatively low. Yes its the most common issue on these forums it seems but these forums are only a fraction of the customers.

Average peak time speed (from May) was ~150Mbs, and that was from SamKnows testing which is independent.

Edit: just looked and the august stats are there. 154Mbs is the average PEAK TIME speed.

The structuring of the list when viewed does make it seem like the gamer package is better than the standard 200Mbs package. This isn't the case however. This is purely down to people not signing up to the gaming package in over utilised areas. The gaming package does nothing the normal one doesn't already do apart from the upload.

salamat
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. You seem pretty clued up on these things.....  Any idea where the problem arises? Is it the cable to 'the box', or the cable from 'the box' that causes the problem? Is it 'the box' itself that's the problem? Does one cable from 'the box' serve 'X' number of customers, and would all the customers on that particular cable be affected?

In a post I had from them on their Facebook page, they talked about 'planning' and having to get 'permissions', which could take some months. Are they talking about permission from the Council, to dig up roads or something like that? Or, is it just 'internal' permissions?

Would be interested if you have any info.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Believe the problem is in the box. Too much people signed up in the box.

They need planning permissions as one of the fixes is to build a new box (or two) and splitting the customers between then. However, some people say they already have them as a utility company.

Limited amount of network engineer / sourcing the parts for new cabinets etc / lots of cabinets needing to be upgraded.

They also start with smaller (cheaper) fixes to see if they fixed/helps before moving to building new cabinets.

0 Kudos