Menu
Highlighted
JordanAdams71
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow wifi at 5pm each day?

Has anyone experienced good internet speeds throughout the mornings (7am onward) and afternoons but as soon as evening or late afternoon hits, the Internet speeds just drastically drop? Our download and upload speeds are in the kbps mark. Uploads have been as low as 0.04Kbps which is just astonishingly bad for me. I'm in Cardiff and this is just getting ridiculous. Can Virgin fix this or is this a larger problem concerning bandwith?
0 Kudos
jonathanm
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow wifi at 5pm each day?

I've found at peak times (5pm-9/10pm) the speed can drop of, but not to the extent you've experienced.

Is it the same for wired connections at those times or just wireless (2.4GHz and 5GHz?)? Might be worth seeing what other networks are detected by a wireless analyser app and swapping to a quieter channel (of 1, 6 or 11 for 2.4GHz) if there is one. Another possibility could be a neighbour using a device that is causing interference, but that could be more difficult to prove.
This might at least rule out your side of the router until someone can take a look at the VM side.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If this happens on a wired connection then it looks like the dreaded utilisation issue.

As advised above you need to test connected directly to the hub by ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
JordanAdams71
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, this still happens through LAN as well. So I think this may be a larger issue. Any idea how this may be fixed?
0 Kudos
The_Serb
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There is an over-utilisation issue in Cardiff. VM wont admit to it but I've had two of their own technicians check my set up out and they confirmed that there is a fault on the network. I am paying for the Vivid 200 service and can get nowhere near that. The technicians told me that it is a utilisation issue and they are upgrading the CMTS in Whitchurch (fault number F004048240) which should cure the issue. Until then I have to keep paying for a service they aren't delivering. It may be worth you complaining.

0 Kudos