Menu
jkap
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow videos and constant buffering

Hey all,

Hoping someone can help as the phone support have been next to useless. Recently (last ~4-5 weeks) videos - especially YouTube - but not restricted to just this are slow to load and buffer constantly. It's impossible to stream content in 1080p let alone attempt 4K.

Weirdly downloads and latency on the whole seem ok. I'm on the 100mb package however downgraded from the 200mb with the recent price changes. It seems this started happening around this time but could just be coincidence.

Other services that seem affected are google drive (can't download pictures stored there for example - they just load indefinitely), and sky box sets downloads - it takes literally hours to download something via this service. Never had this issue with BT broadband previously despite only having a 20mb connection.

Speedtest looks ok with 100 down and around 5.5 up, 9ms latency. I can also download fine off other services at max speed but not the above.

Any thoughts? The chap on the phone couldn't see any issues and basically told me the issue is with my equipment. Given most devices are wired into the hub with Ethernet it's unlikely.

It also seems far worse in the evening.

Cheers,

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow videos & constant buffering

I was reading your post and was all like "Yeah we can sort this" up until the last line- "it seems worse in the evenings."   We need to know if your suffering from over-utilisation

To that end- can you set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

BQM.jpg

0 Kudos
jkap
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - happy to give this a go. I've a super hub 3 - is it possible to enable icmp? Reading online it seems I have to disable the firewall for BQM to work - not ideal.

The chap on the phone did say that "there is a high utilisation fault in your area, but I can see you are definitely not affected by that". Not sure how he can guarantee that? Either way it seems strange that I can't stream/download some things, yet I can say download a test file from thinkbroadband at max speed. Surely high util would affect whole service?

It is better in the morning during the week from what I've observed - but maybe just coincidence.
0 Kudos
jkap
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to add, speedtest just now:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1828232578

Yet I'm unable to retrieve a 25mb video off whatsapp as ta downloading so stupidly slowly. I can understand some services will operate slowly from time to time - that's not within virgins control, but it happens too often. I also just switched to 4g in this particular instance and the video downloaded almost instantly...
0 Kudos
jkap
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That looks good, no obvious signs of utilisation.

You may just be suffering from the widespread problem with peak-time streaming, which has been all over this forum for the past few weeks. Unfortunately I haven't yet seen any acknowledgement of the problem from Virgin.

0 Kudos
jkap
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Having been testing this out over the past week, the connection is definitely slower in the evening that during the morning/day. Weirdly for the first time, when running speed tests during the evening I was only able to hit 30-40mb (on a 100mb connection). This morning to back to 100 again. VM customer staff on the phone said there was a high utilisation fault in my area but I wasn't affected - kind of looks like I may be?

Would be great if someone from VM can reply here? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jkap,

Many thanks for your post and very sorry for the delay in responding to this.

I've located your account and can see that the issue experienced is indeed relating to the high demand for our service in your area under the fault ticket reference of F004784051, with a review set for 28/12/16.

I've flagged this over to another team to monitor in conjunction with your account.

Really very sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Take care,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos